Betta Fish Forum banner

Peculiar diet

992 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ma3lstrom13 
#1 ·
The betta gold pellets do not seem to appeal to my new betta. He eats them then spits them back out. However, he does seem to eat the generic tropical flakes. Should I be concerned at all?

#2 ·
A little, most tropical flakes are about 40% protein, and bettas are carnivores, so just that as a diet might be a problem.

Have you tried presoaking the pellets? Try soaking in some water with garlic might help, it helps when my bettas really don't want to eat their pellets (fussy eaters!)

#3 ·
Most generic tropical flakes contain alot of vegetable oils and fats.

Vegetable stuffs can cause serious constipation in Betta's....

Try get some Tetra Betta flakes, their high in protein, easy to digest and amazing betta food.

You could try stopping feeding the tropical flakes for a few days...

When your betta gets hungry enough he WILL eat the pellets.
Soak the betta pellets in a bit of tank water for a minute before feeding..

#6 ·
^ thats what i think it could be. It looks like the pellets might be too big for him. He keeps going to attack it but spits it out periodically. Eventually he guzzles it down and spits out like shreds of it. I will try crushing the pellets. I'm afraid he will choke.

I also want to know how I know when he is full. He swims to the top when I come in. I presume he wants food. But his "belly" (right where his two front fins are) (is that his stomach?) any way its bulging and I don't know if that means hes had enough. It could be the light playing tricks. I really don't want to mess this guy up.

#8 ·
You want his tummy to be softly rounded and not "bulging". THAT is too much.

Since 8/05/10 I have been feeding my bettas New Life Spectrum Growth Formula (50% protein, 9% fat) and they are doing GREAT!!! AND the pellets are TINY. :)

Yes, I realize NLS has a betta formula, but the pellets are larger and the protein % isn't as great as in the growth formula.

P.S. I fast them one day a week to help "clear" them out.

#9 ·
I see its hard to tell how round is considered ok. I think I may have found another problem. He is in a community tank, and it looks like he scrounges for food on the bottom. The food that I leave for my ghost shrimp. How should I fix this. The other community fish (tetras) don't seem to eat either when I drop food. As for the belly, it is definitely larger even though I haven't fed him since noon (7 hours ago). Water test showed everything normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.