Betta Fish Forum banner

We had a little fight...

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  metalbetta 
#1 ·
one of my female bettas (Sora) apparently got into a little fight and got bitten close to her tail. It's a pretty nasty bite too. I thought it was fungus/bacteria first, but she's not acting sick, she just seems like she's in a bit of pain. She is eating, flaring at her new sister every so often, she just won't do much with her tail... She's also missing a pectoral fin... due to yet another argument about a month ago. It makes it a little more difficult for her to get around lately.

I'll do that questionaire dealy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 7 other females.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Siphon once weekly, total water change as needed. Usually about every 3 weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? approx 70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Usually only conditioner, but I added AQ salt and an algaecide yesterday.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Chunk missing out of the bottom of her back, next to her tail. Scales hanging off, white underneath.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Moving around less, still eating, flaring, etc.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water is treated with AQ salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Somewhere around a year.

Photos:

Has anyone else dealt with an injury like this? I'm doing what I can to keep it from getting infected. Like I said she can still get to the top for air, and she's still eating like a madwoman, but she's just hurting a bit. Is there anything else I can do for her?

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh my.....I would get her in QT and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and 100% daily water changes for 10 days-I would keep her water temp a little lower for now in the 76-77F range...just to be safe..... and if it looks like it is getting bigger or start to look discolored around the edges-increase the aquarium salt to 3tsp/gal

Did you see it happen or assume that is was a bite from another Betta?

#8 ·
If it is spreading you need to get the aquarium salt increased to 3tsp/gal and get the water temp lowered in the 76F range and if you can add an airstone.....it sounds like Flexibacter columnaris and Aeromonas.....always in the aquarium water waiting for the right conditions to infect....open wounds, compromised immune response...etc.....

#12 ·
She's clampy and lethargic, but I think that's partly because she doesn't like being alone in a small tank. lol she's the social butterfly of the tank. so she might be depressed. I sure hope not.

#14 ·
Has anyone else dealt with an injury like this? ?
Yeppers my male betta had a chunk of flesh missing very similiar to yours except his was atop his head, basically extended from one eye socket to the other. He got lucky he did not injure his eye! Mine most likely injured himself stalking a ghost shrimp and pounced on him only to bang his head, your female probably did same by banging her behind on an ornament or something as that's definitely not a fish bite less you have piranhas in your tank :)

Within 2 days my boys missing flesh showed signs of regrowth, a week later it was completely healed with a leftover scar which completely vanished in a months time.

#15 ·
Kilo lost a good chunk of skin from his face from getting sucked into airline tubing. It was down to the white meat of his poor face. He healed fine and you can't even tell he was hurt. I didn't even use salt. I just made sure he was clean. I hope she perks up!

#19 ·
If this was Flex-and the fast moving type....I don't think you would have been able to do much more for her than what you did-once this bacteria invades it start to eat the fish alive and their system shuts down...short of taking her to the vet for culture and sensitivity of the wound- to then get the correct medication for the bacteria and IM injections....... and even then the odds of survival would have been about 5%........you did what you could and that is all that can be expected......

Sorry for your loss.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.