Betta Fish Forum banner

The Betta 'Bowl' Rant Thread

14K views 128 replies 29 participants last post by  Slipstitch 
#1 ·
#33 ·
I went to my LPS today, Clark's Pet Emporium, beautiful tank decorations, beautiful bettas, and even a goldfish pond at the back of the store. But I still left raging! Under the betta shelf, was bowls that were no bigger than my hand. >:O

Luckily, I.....Had......My..... CELLPHONE! *Heroic Music*

Massive picture dump of cruel betta tanks coming soon, I have to download my pics.

#34 ·
Yeah, one of the local stores here in my hometown had "tanks" no bigger than the PetsMart cups, the bettas were in a cup the size of a dixie bathroom cup. They even had a deal, Buy the "tank" for $10 and get a free Betta. I wanted to smash every "tank" in the store. I'm going to leave a nast review on their google store profile and probably on their website.

#36 ·
The other day when I was at petco to pick up a heater, I ran into a lady trying to buy a crowntail betta for her 12 year old. I guess her kid asked for one. She'd grabbed a sickly crowntail, and I sort of corrected her-- it was moving but all at the bottom of the cup.

She was headed for one of those small betta 'tanks' that I swear are the size of a soda can. But I told her that her fish would be a lot better off in at least a 2.5 gallon tank, and with a heater for it. She grabbed a decent little home for him, and seemed happy for my help. But it makes me mad that petco sells little tanks hardly the size of the betta cups right next to them. :/

#38 ·

Pls dont bite lol. Is this considered too small? We were sold this as a kit and believed that it was large enough.

#40 ·
Grrrrr....

Damn pet stores. Sold this to my wife assuring her it was everything she needed to keep a Betta. It is all just a few days old, its my daughters present for this Christmas just gone. I wouldnt have minded forking out the extra money to get the right size tank in the first place but to waste the money on the wrong one and then have to go and buy the right one aswell... kinda bites my ass. Makes a man think about doing mean things to lying sales assistants lol :BIGangry:

#41 ·
Hi Baylee, thanks for your advice. Tail biting? What is it and what can I do about it? I assume it has some thing to do with him biting his own tail but is it a disease? a mental problem? has ol' Rocky taken a few too many knocks and developed a loose wire or two upstairs?

#42 ·
Tail biting is what I guess you could call a nervous disorder, like people and nail biting. The stress of being in a small tank or the stress of just being brought home makes them chew on their tails. It'll grow back with clean water and time.

And trust me, I think we'd all like to do some not-nice things to those stores and their untrained associates. So many people get roped into getting those things and so few bother to go online and find out the proper care. Thankfully you are one of those few.

#47 · (Edited)
http://theaquablock.com/store/- stupid auqa block...... look at how they clean them and everything else! disgusting!

EDIT: sorry, here a quote from the site itself:

"You should change the water once a month.
Your AQUABLOCK contains decorative sand art which is sealed at the bottom of your tank, making changing your water easy. Prior to changing the water in your AQUABLOCK, you should leave two pints of non chlorinated water in the same room for about 24 hours,"

Or

"These portable tanks are ideal as a first pet for any child and are easy to clean (the gravel is glued down)."

#55 ·
Gosh. This place is going to make me cry. Thanks, everyone for making such good points. In demonicangel's Exhibit A, did you see Alex09's review. Think it's this site's Alex09? In Demonicangel's Exhibit B, it is called a Skeleton tank. Wonder why?

#56 ·
Huh, I didn't even read the 1 star reviews I was too busy looking up the idiot that said it was a great tank and "not to listen to the other guy" turns out he didn't buy just one he bought 3 because they are "such a conversation piece."

If you want to use a fish as a conversation piece, here you go. :)

Are these suppose to be building blocks? Sorry, that's the largest pic I could find. BTW, those are .8 gallons.

#62 ·
http://www.siamhome.com.au/SiamHome_FishTanks.htm

These tanks looks cool. I wouldnt get the small one though. Notice on the small tanks it says "ideal for Siamese fighting fish or other vaieties of fish that don't require a large tank" why does everone assume they need a small living space?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.