Betta Fish Forum banner

The Betta 'Bowl' Rant Thread

14K views 128 replies 29 participants last post by  Slipstitch 
#1 ·
#63 ·
#76 ·
I want the fish highway! And I read an article about the mini aquarium. It was made so that if the worlds smallest fish became publically available they could have an aquarium for it.

#65 · (Edited)
sorry, petsmart put a block to links so it takes you to the homepage, so i just put down product codes to enter into the serch bar on the petsmart site:

and here are a few websites.

http://www.wrapables.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=A55510
http://www.ioffer.com/i/Penn-Plax-BETTA-BOW-FRONT-DOUBLE-TANK-KIT-BBT3-72024621

http://www.aquariumguys.com/tetra-betta-bowl.html

http://www.aquariumguys.com/betta-bowfront-kit.html

http://www.aquariumguys.com/plastic-fish-bowl-drum-1qt.html

and this site made my heart a bit happy even though it is wiki:http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Desktop-Betta-Bowl

#66 ·
One of those says:
Place filter grid, gravel and plant in tank. Fill with dechlorinated water. Tank divider shield divides tank into two separate areas. Lift tank divider colored shield to promote flaring.
Remove divider to promote flaring? Do the people who write these even read them?

#68 ·
i'll admit to have gotten a bowl for my first betta, but he was quickly upgraded to a gallon after the constant water changes got annoying. now, said bowl is used to house rocks. :3 and airline tubes. and cup lids(i keep the betta cups for holding them while i change their water). the half-gallon kritter keeper my niece got for her first betta now is used to betta photo shoots. they love hte paparazzi. xD

i hate those small "betta tanks", and never suggest them to people who want to buy a betta while i'm at the pet store. i usually turn people to the 2-ish gallon Kritter Keepers as a first betta home. my boys and girls love their KK's, and my youngest is in 3 gallons. she adores it!

#69 ·
Living in south africa with no "chain" pet stores I think has kept t worst of those mini tanks off t market, but we still got some horrible less than quarter gallon jobbies. I think t moral of t story is if a person doesn't see a problem with his fish living in such a small place he's not going to give it t correct care regardless of t size of t tank. Such a person would likely not be bothered to do regular water changes etc. In short t betta lives a miserable short life regardless. I would rather see a betta in a half a gallon owned by someone who enriches his life with foods and hiding spots and does twice weekly water changes than a betta who lives in a 10gal in filthy water with no hiding spots etc.
That's my two cents worth, and my first post to t forum!
K

#71 ·
i applied for a job at my local pet store, the one i get all my bettas and most of their homes from. i'm hoping i get it(pray for me, guys and gals), and should i get it, i'm gonna make sure bettas go home to good homes. they sell all sorts of horrid tanks for them, but they also have wonderful tanks. there's a little one gallon neat tank-thing at the front counter that usually has a betta in it, and most of the VTs go in the back, with peaceful fishies(and guppies. and platties. >.> one poor fella ended up with some Serpae tetra who destroyed his fins). so, all in all, they do pretty good about their bettas. the head of the fish department knows his stuff, too, so i'm sure that while he's there, bettas go to good homes(he gave me a killer deal on my delta. thought he was an HM, so he'd have been about $10, but i got him for $4. :d).

#77 ·
The fish highway seems kind of like you're asking for trouble, if you ask me. I went to a Petco that was kind of out of town yesterday, and they had good betta conditions. They had small bowls. One didn't even have the size on them.

#79 ·
Really? I didn't read the reviews. At first, I used to change the water in my 1.5 every 2 weeks, and I changed 50%. That time has passed, though, and those are just memories.

#82 ·
I'll admit when I first joined the site I planned on doing 50% water changes once a week in my 2.5 gallon and never 100% because of all the gravel I put in.... And I didn't want to cycle. I'm glad I've learned though.

This is by far the absolute worst one. The Betta gets alot more room in just a bowl! That hole in the center gives them no room at all in an already small tank! I think that this is by far the worst Betta tank I've found so far...

Attachments

#85 ·
http://www.ficklefood.com/uncategorized/a-better-fish-bowl/

This one got me really mad. I thought it was a joke at first.

I've never kept fish before and I was recently given a betta after he'd been used in a behaviour experiment at a college. I was given a 'tank' (about 1 litre) and told he didn't need a heater, or filter and that he didn't need more room as they don't swim about much. As soon as I got him home I decided I wanted a bigger tank, and after reading ONE SINGLE web page on betta care, I was appalled that people still believe that they require such basic, well actually no care. Nearly everyone uses the internet. Do they never google 'betta care' even out of curiosity? He's now in a 40 litre tank (about 9 gallons) with a heater and filter, and he's the most lovely and entertaining little creature! I'm starting to understand why there are so many web sites dedicated to them. He swims about like mad, explores for food, swims in the filter bubbles and hides in his little caves. I plan to get a couple more placid fish (it seems like quite a big tank just for him) and put more hiding places and plants in there. I can't believe that common sense doesn't tell Betta owners that these tiny bowls must be miserable places to live! :(

#87 · (Edited)
no in fact that deserves a ^ +100

I agree completely with you! IT IS DISGUSTING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT BETTA FISH CAN LIVE IN SUCH SMALL BOWLS!!!!!! I AM APPALLED THAT PET STORES SELL THOSE TINY LITTLE TANKS!!!! MY STOMACH FLIPS WHEN I SEE PEOPLE BUY THOSE!!!!!!

Sorry.... writing angry rants is kinda my thing......

#88 ·
my 7 year old niece knows that many of these bowls are too small for bettas! after her first one died of an unknown cause(he was fine one day, and had bad dropsy the next. poor Travis), she said she didn't want to get another till she could get this 3 gallon Spongebob tank from the pet store, and she doesn't want another one yet.

#89 ·
I was in Petsmart the other day and this lady came in with a female betta that she had bought recently.......that had no fins left!!! Apparently she had put 2 females in one of those small bowls!! The first employee she talked to told her that she should have a 2.5+ gallon tank and that if females have enough room they can coexist together, then the employee who sold the lady her original "tank" and both females told her that the females should not have fought and that it was very unusual for them to fight, GRRRRRRRRRR she then replaced the female with a male and the lady also got a second small bowl....my friend and I tried to get the customer to get a bigger tank but didnt have any luck =/

#90 ·
when i was getting my CT girl her 2 gallon, a lady came in with a dead red betta and a sample of water. apparently, she has one of those tiny cubes for her betta, and she doesn't get why he died. i was going in the back anyways, so i chirpped up , while semi-following the lady and the fish guy who was there at the time, that i keep all my bettas in 2 gallons, and that my girl was getting an upgrade from a bowl to the 2 gallon(sorta lie. she was getting upgraded from a one gallon to the 2 gallon. xD), and that they seem happier in larger tanks. i don't know if she caught my hint or not, but if not, i pity her new boy. D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.