Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding quality PK?

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Anitax3x 
#1 ·
Is my new PK breeding quality?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Round edges, un balanced fins. This boy came from a fighter line?

#10 ·
Need sharper photos... I do not think that he is perfect, not by far but he is not the worst pk ever bred... I guess the main thing is do you have a goal or not? Meaning what do you want to get out of this? Lots of pet store betta isnt that good of a goal no offense... Bred to a good female the fry might have potential.

Mr. V I dont think he came from a fighter line lol I think that was a comment

#14 ·
If you're in a bind for money. Check out

mnbettashop.com

Tony imports from an ibc judge, and if you don't have money for the show fish he sells study form and look at the other fish he sells. there are a few gems to be found.

I found my hmpk pair from the normal hmpk stock they cost $30 for the pair and shipping was $15 since I didn't want to pay for $30 again when I had already shelled out $30 for a HM female that day. And I asked him to ship on monday so they wouldn't get stuck in the post office over the weekend. They arrived today (shipped this monday) in GREAT color/shape

Here is a link to the pair pictures I just bought for a total of $45 shipping included.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=108664

They aren't perfect but clean fins and one of my favorite colors GREEN

bettysplendens.com

^^ That's a great site to study form of all tail types.

When you study form you can determine between pet shop fish and fish that people will line up to buy babies from. Even if you just want "pet quality" If you end up with a mess, no one will buy them. And unless you want to dump money with no hopes of return, you should just wait to breed a better quality pair.

He's cute though !

Oh and IMO I wouldn't breed him.

#18 ·
I dont want to start and argument but I dont think you miss out on anything breeding pet store fish. Having bred both a lot I think that breeding a fish you love makes you love the babies and thats what important here, that the babies will be okay not that the fish is perfect.... However sense I havent heard whether or not they have a goal and without knowing the female its up to the owner. And mn bettashop is a wonderful store but not everyone has an option to buy fish and ship them.

And Mr. V define "bad betta" I here you say that a lot and I want to clarify what you mean

#16 ·
paypal is probably safest for both parties but yes they do accept other types of payment.

Or you could join the IBC and get in touch with a breeder who will be able to send you a good pair. I head some will send you fish free all you have to do is pay shipping.

#17 ·
Breeding for pet quality is like saying "I should get an A on this test but I'll just take the D". Its the same effort to raise bad bettas as it is to raise good ones.

#20 ·
A bad betta is any betta that is randomly bred without knowledge of genetics.

If you have a goal in mind, and you find a decent HM male from PetCo or something, okay. But they should be paired with a good partner.

I bred one pet store fish this year. I was rewarded with some amazing fish. To the point that I have a black dragon male that one breeder wanted me to breed to my females. BUT he was bred to a female from an amazing line of HMPKs.

#22 ·
LOL Mo you made me freak for a sec! hahahaha

Anywho I talked to Tonyabout where he gets his fish before I bought from there.

So no fear! I wish I lived near that store.

No jk I'd go broke and probably live there. LOL

#25 ·
I think if you know what you're looking for, you can breed great fish. But most of the stuff in petco or petsmart doesnt do it for me. But then again, I've gone on AB and most of the stuff I see isn't what I'm looking for.

Like Creat Said, if there is a goal in mind, get the fish from wherever you please. As long as you have a plan and can find homes for the babies. Its just harder to find homes for fish that have less than desirable traits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.