Betta Fish Forum banner

This sucks.

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  tsoto80 
#1 ·
When I woke up this morning, my little guy had almost no fins left, and I thought he must of gotten into a fight with the mollies, but I quickly discouraged that theory because he acted normal while swimming freely with them. So, I put him in a small 1.5 Gal QT just to keep an eye on him. I left to take care of some business today and came back to find almost no fins left and the what I am presuming is advanced fin rot almost to his body. I don't want him to suffer, because I can't afford any medications right now. Do you know of a safe way to put him out of his misery. I just don't want him to feel anything...

#2 ·
Keep him comfy. In a container steep some decaf green tea and aquarium salt for about an hour with Betta conditioner, and put him in that. There is still hope regardless, so ride it out and see what happens.

#3 ·
Poor thing.
Make sure there are no plants/structures in there that could be hurting his fins. If he is sick and in bad condition things that may not have hurt him while healthy could now. If you have a strong current, baffle it, that can cause stress to the fins as well, and at this point he can't afford to lose more.
Lots of people talk about sponge/plastic water bottle baffles here, but i used a fake plant over mine and it works great..

Is he warm enough? Is he eating alright?

#5 ·
If he is otherwise acting and eating normally-why not try and treat him first before you give up on him....it sounds more like he is tail biting and this could have been trigger by several things related to the community tank...

QT him in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank and start a 10day aquarium salt treatment along with 100% daily water changes

Get a 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water and add 1tsp of aquarium salt and use this water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days...keep the water temp in the 76-77F range and if you have any tannins to add to the pre-mixed treatment water all the better.....if you have any Oak trees near by find some naturally dried and fallen from the tree add 10-12 crushed to the 1gal jug of treatment water for the tannins and they are Free.....

Feed high protein foods several times a day in small amount-but not to the point of bloat

Can you post a pic

If he is in fact suffering and you need to euthanize-several different way to do this-overdoes of clove oil, freezing or decapitation to name a few....

#6 ·
I don't know any methods for putting a betta 'out of his misery' but I heard another member in another thread say something like this:

"Set him out on a leaf in a pond and let nature handle it..."

Your could try that. o_O

#7 ·
Or even maybe put him in a tank with tap water, and wait till he 'passes' and bury him.. carve his name in a rock in your yard if you are that kind of person. :)

I'm not some sort of 'mastermind of killing bettas' (lol!) these are just some random stuff I though of..

#16 ·
Oh, ok. I know how hard it is to lose a friend... I felt that when I was 5. Not fun. :(
Also, I thought that might offend you... i was wrong ;)

#17 ·
If you can't find aquarium salt you can use kosher salt (you can find it at any grocery store), just make sure it has no iodine or anti-caking agents. I really think it's a good idea to try and treat him rather than euthanizing him or doing nothing at all. He could pull through. If you do try to heal him and he dies anyway, you will at least have the solace of knowing that you did everything you could to help him.

#22 ·
I agree 100%. Honestly reading this thread and the comments some people are making is making me feel upset. If he still haves life left in him enjoy it and make him feel happy. I know he is "just a fish" but he haves a heart right? Besides I heard of other bettas on here that survived through worse conditions. Keep your hopes up! He WILL pull through just stay positive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.