Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 
summnd

Double tails?

I've heard/been told not to breed two double tails because it often creates deformities in the tail, specifically having 4+ branches in the tail..well last night, I found a beautiful double tail female I really liked and Hubby casually mentioned she would be neat to breed to Hart, my double tail Plakat male. I tried to explain to him why you shouldn't breed double tails together and he asked "Well..is having too many tails and finnage the only down side?..'Cause that's sort of just like having an overHM or rose tail or something, isn't it?"
And he has a point.

Why don't you breed two double tails together, or can you? I'm curious and would like to go into this more. I really know NOTHING about fish genetics.

Also, how much curve is TOO much? Most males I see locally are hump backed and I've been told the older they get, the more prominent the hump gets, but I see a lot of people culling for too much curvature.

Last edited by summnd; 11-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.
summnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #2 
trilobite

Dt is a weird mutation that copies the bottom half of the fish and flips it onto the top half which is why they are often prone to messed up bodies and swimbladders. Unlike excessive finned hms where its just the fin length thats the problem

If you breed dt x dt your chance of getting mainly these in your spawn increases so much that its not worth doing.

Bodywise I think all dt breeders should strive for nice long smooth bodies like this. IMO a humped back should be unacceptable and culled asap, there are normal backed dts and theres no reason a breeder shouldnt expect good bodies just because its a dt

trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
summnd

Thanks a lot! I had no idea how the DT gene worked. I've also been wondering about all this "hump back" non sense because as I said, it's my observation that most males have some curvature to their backs. My male was sold as HM DT PK. He's certainly a DTPK, but as for the HM I don't think so. His back line isn't straight, but I don't find it to be excessively curved either. I'm not a Betta judge by any means though.
I've been trying to get some good pictures of him to put up, but he's impossible. :/
summnd is offline   Reply With Quote