Betta Fish Forum banner

Please Help! I don't know what happened!

3K views 76 replies 7 participants last post by  meimei 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no but i have a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 - 50%, 1 - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he is floating near the top of the tank and seems unable to go down, he floats back up. He is slightly bloated and often ends up floating on his side, though he rights himself.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is stressed, but it is water change day
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today, after the water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, just minor bloat from overfeeding at times
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown (petstore fish)

Please help me, I am so scared for my betta! I was doing his 50% water change today and after I poured in a bit more water, he started acting strange. I have yet to finish pouring in the rest of the new water because I am so scared for him! He seems unable to stay at the bottom of the tank, and his belly is slightly bloated. No pineconing, I looked very closely for that. He is still very active and he moves around if I put a finger up to the glass, or even if I don't. He is breathing from the surface a LOT. Could he have swallowed an air bubble or something? Sometimes he gulps air from the surface. he goes down to the bottom, but he can't seem to stay there, he floats right back up. I have another half gallon to put back into the tank, but I am so worried I have yet to do it. Could I have hurt him when I was pouring the water in? I used a cup to take it out because I don't have a gravel vaccuum... is that okay? I have conditioned the water and made sure it is the same temperature as the rest of his water... Please help me I'm so worried and I don't want him to die!

See less See more
#2 ·
When you did the water change, did you take him out, or work around him,? you may have shocked him a lil if the water hit him hard, yes, you need to do a very lil water at a time, and pour against the wall and it will flow smoother..but for now..keep an eye on him, it sounds like something disoriented him, which is the same thing I recently experienced with my Sammy..when he was first adjusting to the filter in his tank, but I don't think he needs "Treatment" for anything..but keep that water level low so he can get to the surface easier..should be fine..keep and eye..and update when things change..Good Luck..Hope he's alright~

#3 ·
I didn't take him out, I worked around him. I am fairly certain I didn't pour any water on him, he was avoiding me while I was in the tank, but... you think he is in shock? I am soooo worried although now that I am watching him, he seems to be floating to the top less. Maybe he was just really shocked and it is wearing off? I will wait an hour or so before I put in the rest of the water and I will do it by cupfuls this time, pouring against the wall. Or do you think I should take him out and then put him back in? I don't want to stress him by catching him in a cup...

#5 ·
I recently did that with our Sapphire..he just wouldnt stay out of the way..uggh..and he got hit with the water, twice..and he was a lill off..for a few mins..but then he came right back..but that is what i did..i waited and used smaller amounts of water..I was in a rush and tried to do too much..maybe you did it that way too..

#6 ·
I wasn't using a cup at first, I was just pouring it right in from the bucket. But I have an 8oz. cup I will use to do the rest of the water change. It's the same cup I was using to take the water out originally. Sheik seems to be doing better, he is still floating at the top, but he doesn't seem to float up quite as much as he did before. I think he *can* can down now, which he couldn't before.... or at least not for long. From time to time he still ends up floating sideways, though... is that really bad?

#7 ·
Does it look like a water current is making him "Sway" like blowing in the breeze, or is he actually laying or swimming that way..can you post a pic..so I can see what he looks like?
Btw..dont POUR from a bucket..way to strong..the water hits the water in the tank hard and causes too much movement..lil at a time..takes longer..but safer..

#8 ·
He is actually laying that way, or rather... he drifts up to his side. He can right himself, though, and he does when he is swimming. It is only when he is still that he might float onto his side. I will try and get a picture to show you, he isn't doing it all the time.

#9 ·
I notice when Sammy is resting, he is heavy finned, and he starts to sway to the side, and he just lets his body go with it, and then he snaps out of it, and starts to swim a lil --it's kinda like when we start to doze off, and our head drops, it's funny.. and cute..but i would watch your lil guy if he is bloated, it may be something else..

#12 ·
He is not struggling to get to the top, but he is struggling to stay away from the top. He is floating, and it's clear he has to really fight to get down from the top. He always floats right back up. Does anyone have any insight as to why he can't seem to stop floating? Like I said, his belly is very slightly bloated, and he does drift onto his side a bit at times, but this really doesn't look like dropsy to me (although I admit I have never seen it before, just read about it). He has figured out how to pin himself underwater with the help of his plants, so he has been doing that, but why would he be so... buoyant?

#16 ·
OMG Please help! He got a LOT worse! His belly is suddenly more bloated, and I have no idea why, he's not been fed in two days! He can't seem to stay upright in the water, he keeps floating on his side at the top! I'm really upset and worried, can anyone help me? PLEASE!

#18 ·
ok... take a deeeep breath, prepare an epsom salt solution 3tsp/ gallon I believe, pre dissolve this and pour it in slowly into the tank he is in...ie. if he's in a half gallon dissolves 3 tsps in a bit of water and pour half of that in. dont forget your water conditioner... I'm going to read the rest of your post right now...

dont panic!

#20 ·
Do you have a something smaller you could put him like a gallon and some treatments with Epsom salt ? I think its 1 teaspoon to a gallon . You could do a search here and find out more about it, the Epsom salt I know helps with bloating. Look up Epsom salt treatments for bloating and so sorry your Betta is not feeling well..sending him good wishes to get better soon !

#21 ·
ok, a few things for bloat/ constipation. if he will still eat feed him some frozen daphnia if you can get your hands on it. Also see if he will flare, as this generally helps with constipation. Is the source water the same as usual or is there a chance the PH could have been altered?
One more question, did you observe your fish carefully before the water change and he was completely 100% fine or is there the possibility that he was bloated before the water change?

#27 ·
He seemed to be just fine before the water change. He might have been very slightly bloated, he seems to get that way frequently, but if so, it was nothing hugely noticeable. It was a very mild bloat. I am very concerned that he has grown more bloated after he has not been fed. Could he be swallowing air? I am so confused he keeps pooing bubbles...

I can't get any daphnia for him today. I am working until after the pet store is closed, and I'm afraid I can't miss work. I depend on this job for my insurance... The water was the exact same as always, straight from the tap and conditioned with NutraFin water conditioner. It was let to sit in the same room to become the same temperature as the other water for many hours.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a half gallon that he was in originally. I took out the gravel and the plant, though. Is epsom salt just regular epsom salt? or does it need to be special somehow? Can I get it from the grocery store?

EDIT: I have gotten him to flare and he seems to be pooing... bubbles? I'm not really sure, but it looks like he trails bubbles from his bum. But he doesn't seem to react to the mirror so much anymore. He still darts around, but I think he is getting sort of tired out from feeling icky. He has to take time to rest at the top of the tank...

#24 ·
I have a half gallon that he was in originally. I took out the gravel and the plant, though. Is epsom salt just regular epsom salt? or does it need to be special somehow? Can I get it from the grocery store?
regular plain epsom salt with no additives. Predissolve 1tsp in a bit of water and slowly add this to the 1/2 gallon over an hour or so. you will need to clean out this 1/2 gallon fairly often.... how's the temperature in there?

#25 ·
The 1/2 gallon isn't filled with water right now, though I can do that. I have a small heater, but it is going to be too much for a 1/2 gallon tank, it'll overheat it. He is alone in his 2.5 gallon, is it okay to leave him in there? Moving him is gonna stress him out a LOT, I think.

I am so worried, but I have to leave for work in about half an hour. Is there anything I can do for him before I leave?

#26 ·
it is completely fine to leave him in there unless you suspect something in the water has caused his condition. you can prepare the epsom salt for a 2 gallon (you said you didnt pour in the last 1/2 gallon right?) and slowly mix that in his current tank. May be see if you can grab frozen daphnia while you are out today...

As for the 1/2 gallon, you can test your smaller heater. see if the temperature stays safe and stable over a period of time. I used a 25w adjustable in a 1/2 which worked out fine. I really cant think of needing the 1/2g though :O

#28 ·
I did end up putting in the last 1/2 gallon because he was doing so much better last night. He seemed back to his normal self, so I carefully poured the last half gallon in cup by cup, against the wall just like lelei suggested. he didn't seem to become disturbed by the last bit of water. The temperature is staying steady in his tank between 77 and 78 degrees.

#30 ·
There isnt any chance that the water left to sit was exposed to household chemicals is there? I usually mix my water to the right temp straight from the tap... >.<
The daphnia isnt compulsory, but the salt is :O I'm kind
of glad that I havent had a bloat prone
fish yet.

As for the pooping bubbles... I have no idea what a fish fart means.. maybe it 's his way of readjusting his swim bladder. I know goldfish can do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.