Betta Fish Forum banner

Female Bettas in 2.5 gallon tank

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hi, I'd like advice on whether it would be wise to get two (only two) female Betta fish and put them in my 2.5 gallon tank, which has a Whisper filter. Is it risky just getting two females from a store or breeder and putting them together? Is 2.5 gal big enough for two femmes? Thanks!

#2 ·
Putting 2 females in a 2.5 gallon tank is not a good idea. The tank is too small and one will become dominant over the other and beat up on it. You can put 4 or more females in a 10 gallon tank or larger but you need lots of hiding places. Sometimes sororities work and sometimes they don't.

#3 ·
Thanks dramaqueen, I will see if I find one female Betta I like and go with just the one. Do you or anyone else here on this great board have any recommendations or suggestions as to some kind of tank mate? The tank would be in the safe zone temp of 70 to 80 degrees. I have the filter and don't use the light that came with the top cover.

Please also include non-fish critters, like a snail or something. Thanks!

#6 ·
I got a tiny snail that accidentally came with a plant that we got for our frogs, and i put him (thunder) in with the betta, and he lasted a few months or so, but then get got stuck in the filter (i have no idea why,) and he died. So i think that they are fine with bettas. Well at least the one that i had.

#7 ·
wat about putting a divider for the two females?ive got a 10L that my male was in.ive just put him in a 30 L cause the onlly heater i could find was ait too big...(ey this boy costing lots of money lol but all worth it.) and im looking at putting two females in the 10L with a divider....

Would that maybe work?

#9 ·
ok how bout this...lol i saw a few females today at the petshop and they all the size of guppies!!soo cute hehe anyway how would they act if i put 2 in a 12L tank?they all living together now anyway at the petshop?i think ill go the safe route and put a divider in the tank..ill try out some pics up when i get them sorted.thanks

#11 ·
thnks hehe lol ill try it out,ill let you know how things plan out

12L is about 3.17 gallons

#13 ·
ah ok..hehe lol im thinking of trying diff combinations.Thanks hehe ill go with the divider setup.the females are really cheap over here..same price we'd pay for a 2l bottle of coke lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.