Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #571 
jsalexson4689

Nobody has any advise in regards to my tank?
jsalexson4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #572 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
I keep a Cobalt 25 watt in my 5 gal, and it never flucuates, and keeps it perfect.
I used to have one in my 6 gal Fluval Edge, and it was great, except in one especially cold winter (for here in LA, mind you) when the room would get MUCH colder than usual at night. I think it struggled a little at that time. But I might be thinking of my current 17 gal tank. I wish I could remember. :( It was great the rest of the year, but I definitely remember it struggling when the temps were highly variable that winter, last year. Sounds like sniffindaisies might be in a similar circumstances, with an especially cold house. A heater that does great in other, more stable, conditions won't necessarily be able to do as well in more variable conditions if it doesn't have a lot of extra power capacity.

Consider the physical heater size is the same (for the Cobaly 25w and 50w units), and the cost difference is minimal, I'd get the at least the 50w heater just to be on the safe side. (Or perhaps better yet the 100w Titanium model... but even I think that's kind of overkill ... unless temp rangers are truly severe in some part of the country with serious winters.)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #573 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalexson4689 View Post
I need some help from fellow Spec owners and planted tank peeps especially. I converted my tank to a planted tank almost a month ago, I upgraded the tank light to the fluval 13 watt compact and have taken every step to help the plants grow but I seem to be failing in the planted tank endevour.

The dwarf baby tears I originally added didnt make it and had to be removed. The dwarf hair grass has alot of brown and dead grass in it. The moneywort has some dead leaves and the java moss constantly has brown in it. I dont know what Im doing wrong. Im doing the water changes weekly, Seachem Flourish once a week and Seachem Flourish Excel daily. The tank light is on atleast 9 hours a day. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Which Spec do you have?

Cut your light period to 8 hours per day, or you'll end up fighting algae. More is not better, in this case.

Dwarf Baby Tears require a high tech tank and co2. They won't do well (as you discovered) with anything less, even adding Excel doesn't cut it.

DHG will do ok, and not DIE, in a low tech tank, but it will only grow up, not out, and will not spread or carpet. I have DHG in my Spec 2g and it does fine, but doesn't spread out at all. I just trim a bit off the top periodically. (like every 4-6 months... it grows slow in low tech)

The rest of your plants should be fine under the conditions specified, so I'm not sure what's going on. Perhaps a photo would help? One thing to consider adding is Potassium (SeaChem's should do well), which is often in short supply in a low tech tank. Also, do you have root tabs? That wouldn't help the Java moss, but might help rooted plants some.

The Fluval light should be adequate, so I'm not sure what's going on. Do you have a test kit, and have you tested your water to see where your numbers are?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #574 
jsalexson4689

I have the Spec III. Only 8 hours a day? There seems to be different opinions for how long to keep the light on for, hence the confusion. My original post about the plants has three photos of how the plants look. I have not tried root tabs yet. 13 watts for a 2.6 gallon tank should be more than adequate for all range of plants I thought? Yup I have the master kit and I will test everything today and report back.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #575 
kman

Quote:
I have the Spec III. Only 8 hours a day? There seems to be different opinions for how long to keep the light on for, hence the confusion. My original post about the plants has three photos of how the plants look. I have not tried root tabs yet. 13 watts for a 2.6 gallon tank should be more than adequate for all range of plants I thought? Yup I have the master kit and I will test everything today and report back.
Yes, only 8 hours per day, for sure. Possibly less, if algae starts to crop up. Very little dispute on this subject in the planted tank forums. It's almost never recommended to have more than an 8 hour lighting period.

13 watts for a 2.6 gal tank is plenty of light, for sure... too plenty, is the concern. So much light on such a small tank can put you into high light categories (hard to say for sure without knowing the PAR value, which I don't offhand). This is the problem. Without co2 to balance out high lighting, high light risks ending up with an algae farm. The plants are getting lots of light, but they can't use it effectively without co2 to to give them the carbon source they need for growth. Although you could raise the light considerably higher to help.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #576 
jsalexson4689

Okay I purchased a timer so I will have the light on for exactly 8 hours a day from now on. I purchased Seachem root tabs and put 2 in the substrate today. I also purchased seachems Plant Pack Enhancers, (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium). Can anyone recommend some plants that will do alright without Co2 in this small of a tank?
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #577 
kman

Quote:
Okay I purchased a timer so I will have the light on for exactly 8 hours a day from now on. I purchased Seachem root tabs and put 2 in the substrate today. I also purchased seachems Plant Pack Enhancers, (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium). Can anyone recommend some plants that will do alright without Co2 in this small of a tank?
Anubias and Java Fern are very nice looking and about as easy care as it gets. Dwarf hair grass does fine without co2, it just won't spread. Java moss can be popular, too, along with Hornwort and others. I've had ok luck with some of the Crypts, too, like Crypt Parva. Lots of people here have plants in tanks with no co2 and low light, those will be good candidates.
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #578 
jsalexson4689

I have Java moss covering a piece of driftwood in the tank now. The dwarf hairgrass has not been doing well at all, hopefully the root tabs will fix that. The crypto parva I have is barely staying alive.

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec