Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I move my betta to a large community tank?

946 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  givemethatfish 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I have a female betta named Gertrude who currently lives in a 2.5 gallon tank by her lonesome. There is no heater or filter - I do weekly water changes. She seems happy and has great energy. Recently, though, her neighbor (a male which I had in a separate tank next to hers) passed away and I feel she may be lonely. I've also noticed what looks to be minor fin rot at the tip of her tail (it's very hard to tell though since I'm almost sure her natural coloring includes a black rim there).

My father recently proposed moving her into our 50 gallon tank. It has a heater, filter, and an airstone for added aeration. My main concern is that I do not know if she will be happy/safe with the other tankmates.

In this 50 gallon tank there is currently 4 medium-sized gouramis, one black molly, and two algae-eaters (not sure of the species but they are very docile).

I'm also concerned that I won't be able to monitor her food intake in such a tank. My father regularly feeds these fish a tropical freshwater mix. However I suspect him of overfeeding and I am almost certain that my male betta died because of poor water quality spawned from my dad overfeeding him.

I'd like some advice on if she would be better off in this large tank since the water quality is excellent, or if the possibility of fighting/overfeeding is just too great of a risk. Sorry for being wordy, I really do appreciate any help! :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Bettas and gouramis often have issues living together because they tend to occupy the same area in the tank.

You could consider upgrading to a 5 or 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter, dividing it, and getting her a tank buddy if you feel she misses her friend. Bettas tend to be solitary, but I have heard a lot of accounts of a betta getting "depressed" when a neighbor passes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.