Betta Fish Forum banner

Pygmy Cories with Betta?

935 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sathori 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!!

So I'm upgrading my male betta from a 2.5gal tank to a 10gal, and I was wondering if pygmy cories would make good tankmates for him. If they are a good match for a betta, what are some tips to keep both species of fish happy and safe in their home?

Thanks so much!!

#2 ·
They should work together fine. The main thing with corys is to have a sand substrate and good numbers (5-6 minimum is ideal) Also the corys need mainly meaty foods, shrimp pellets and/or bottom feeder pellets are good. I typically rotate between one of them and a algae wafer each day.

#3 ·
It always depends on the betta. My betta is currently housed with a small school of albino corydoras, and they get along great. However, my betta did not like the neon tetras at first that were also in the tank, but he eventually got along with them, with the occasional chase here and there. I eventually moved the neons out so that I could get a bigger school of them in another tank.

BUT that being said - I've had a lot of success with corydoras and bettas. I have a school of them in a 10 gallon, which is being "reserved" for my future EE betta ^_^

+1 to n25philly
They do need sand (which is SUPER easy to clean). I tried having my albinos on smooth gravel, but it was really messy since their wafers would break down and get stuck under the gravel, where they couldn't reach it. Then I was gravel vacuuming for forever just to get all of it out. When I switched to sand, it was SO much easier, and I could tell they were so much happier!
And they are omnivores, so they love bottom feeder wafers/pellets and munching on what ever pellets my bettas drop. They go crazy when I would feed the neons with micro pellets - they would vacuum up the whole tank so that there were no micro pellets left. So I would give them two wafers every other day and they would eat up the micro pellets every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.