Betta Fish Forum banner

Compatible species for a community tank

847 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mpooyan83 
#1 ·
I am considering setting up a community tank in a 40 breeder- either with one male betta and some peaceful schooling or shoaling fish or else with 2 male bettas (separated by an opaque divider) and smaller groups of schooling or shoaling fish- and was wondering what species of schooling or shoaling fish would work. If it helps, I intend to plant the tank fairly heavily. Also, you should know that I have no experience with freshwater aquaria, though I do have a few years of experience keeping Dwarf Seahorses. So beginner fish are preferrable, although given my experience with finicky Dwarf seahorses, I may be able to handle some intermediate level fish.

tl;dr What beginner level fish are suitable for a 40 breeder (which may or may not be divided in half) with one (or possibly two) male betta fish?

#2 ·
It will depend on the personality of your betta. But really any of the usual suspects for peaceful community fish would do well with most not-super-aggressive bettas.

A sure bet would be something like corydoras, as they are mainly bottom dwellers and are unlikely to clash with a betta. You can get a shoal of 6+ and they'd be very happy. Harlequin rasboras would work, neon/glowlight tetras, rummynose tetras (a personal favorite), kuhli loaches.

I would stay away from fancy guppies and danios, as the guppies have flowy fins that are attractive to being bitten and danios are spazzy freaks and move around too much for a betta. I have also heard that cherry barbs are too nippy to be with bettas, but I have no experience with them myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.