Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #31 
Kwomais

I'm glad to hear it was a temporary "test of temperament" and not a temporary living situation. I do still recommend getting about 5-6+ total neons so that they can school and feel comfortable. Also, from what I've read, and from my own experience, it is best to have the other fish in the big tank and add the betta last so that they all have their set territories and he doesn't feel like they are all invading his territory, therefore causing him to feel like he needs to protect it (he'll just let them know that the whole tank is now his territory lol).
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #32 
Juditko

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were trying to heat the temporary tank! There are lots of folks on here who have larger tanks. You might want to start a thread to ask about the best heater on a fifty.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #33 
rangerserena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
I'm glad to hear it was a temporary "test of temperament" and not a temporary living situation. I do still recommend getting about 5-6+ total neons so that they can school and feel comfortable. Also, from what I've read, and from my own experience, it is best to have the other fish in the big tank and add the betta last so that they all have their set territories and he doesn't feel like they are all invading his territory, therefore causing him to feel like he needs to protect it (he'll just let them know that the whole tank is now his territory lol).
Ya i didnt want to put both neons in just in case he went on the attack cause then while i was saving one he'd be after the other, im just glad he is cool with it so i can put him in the big group tank without a divider. I plan on getting a couple of diffrent kinds of fish so i have a variety of colors to keep my son interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
Oh I'm sorry. I thought you were trying to heat the temporary tank! There are lots of folks on here who have larger tanks. You might want to start a thread to ask about the best heater on a fifty.
I already have a mini heater for the temp tank, and bought a big heater for the 50 gal tank, im just confused about which filter to get
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #34 
Juditko

Oh sorry. That shows what quick reading will do. Lol. Probably can do search through the threads here for help on that. Sometimes I have more luck finding the individual relevant posts through googling the subject and including the words bettafish.com.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #35 
rangerserena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
That is no good, mostly just fillers in that. Try New Life Spectrum that food is AMAZING.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
the first five in nls are:whole arctic krill meat,whole herring meal,whole wheat flour ,algae meal, beta carotene. bunch of vitamins and fruits and veggies. i have young betta and am feeding them nls small fish formula. for some reason they don't carry the nls betta at my store.the crude protein in this is 48 %.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
you're gonna need water conditioner, a liquid test kit, an adjustable heater and good quality food. new life spectrum or omega one fish food.you essentially want one with at least 40% crude protein. it's more expensive ,but well worth it. they start with fish protein not fillers, as most fish food does. aquarium salt along with epsom salt are always good to have on hand for treating illness. i do warn against anything containing tea tree oil, such as bettafix. this will harm the labrynth organ used to breath air at the waters surface. for now, until your tank is set up and cycled. you can have fun figuring out what else to stock the tank with. schools of pygmy catfish or otocinclus will work. however, these fish also need a tank that has been set up for a while. don't rush things. take your time and enjoy the process. patience is a must in fish keeping and will be rewarded. hope some of this helps.

Im on dr foster&smith site and they have like 8 new life spectrum foods. Which one should i get? Im leaning towards the small fish formula so once i establish my tank they will all eat the same food. Is this ok? There is also thera +a which has garlic

Last edited by rangerserena; 01-04-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #36 
Juditko

I just ordered NLS small fish for mine. After a lot of reading on here it seems like people feed both. Mine seems to like smaller bits and he also likes picking off bottom so that's why I chose it. The betta is larger and apparently doesn't sink as fast. When I ordered the other day I found cheapest was petco. Don't know if still is now or not.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #37 
rangerserena

Got my boy an acctual tank now and a hide away, i also got him a leaf hammock but it wasnt set up when i took the pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #38 
Juditko

Congratulations!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #39 
rangerserena

can you guys tell me if these are ok breeds to go with my betta?

a placo which sucks all the dirt from the tank, a scissor tail, neon fish

she has some others but she doesn't know the names so im tryin to see if she can get me photos
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #40 
Rosso1011

Time out, please. I know you put the neons in as a test of temperament but I just want to make sure that you know that neons may not be the best tank mate for a Betta. Tetras can get nippy and are attracted to long fins. I have heard of others making it work, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

My poor little Rosso had a bad enough time when some smart little ghost shrimp tried to hitch a ride on his tail. I think Rosso ended up winning that war, despite the shrimps antics.

I haven't done too much research in it but I've heard of people using ghost or cherry shrimp (which works if the tank is big and heavily planted), I've heard of people using Tetras (not my preference to try, they will test each other), and Corydoras are always a good choice, not to mention a cute choice.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 01-10-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote