Betta Fish Forum banner

Changing water and heater help

816 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  finnfinnfriend 
#1 ·
I got a new heater because the old one stopped working and in the directions it says to do this when changing water
"Please cut off the power when changing water or place and operate 10 minutes later"
Does that mean to unplug it when changing the water and wait to put it back in 10 minutes later. I normally do 100% water changes. It also says this
"During heating the water,you can not take out the item directly,or it will danged the heater"

#2 ·
Yes. All heaters and filters should be unplugged during water changes. Failing to unplug the heater can cause it to burn out and break (or worse, explode). I unplug the heater about 5 minutes before I do a water change to allow it to cool while in the water. I then turn it and my filter back on about 10-20 minutes after the water change is complete.

#7 ·
Uhm... I have my heater near the bottom of the tank and always do 40-50% water changes... So i never unplug the heater :-?

Its always completely submerged though...

#9 ·
Oh okay good. The water i pour in seems to be warmer because the overall aquarium temp goes up a couple degrees after a water change. The water is cool to the touch but i guess thats because im about 98 degrees, right?

#11 ·
Haha yeah probably because its like 85* F+ in my room in the summer (ugh). But you meant dont pour like 50*F water on the heater anyway, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.