Betta Fish Forum banner

What other fish can live with my Betta♥

26K views 69 replies 22 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a betta fish in a half a gallon bowl and it has a tunnel thing in it and some decorations and I was wondering what other common fish can go in there... for example guppies or goldfish. I'm going to the pet store today and they have a lot of exotic fish and they're soo pretty. So I'm just gonna get one more fish, about the size of the betta, but my betta can get along with it and not kill it :shock: so any ideas of fish? Thanks!

#2 ·
From what I know of goldfish they need a much larger tank than whatever you have to be happy... also they are a bit colder of water and have diseases so they aren't recommended. (That's just stuff I have read here)

Most of the other fish people have mentioned keeping prefer to be in groups, so you may not have much luck with them.

Also, a half gallon tank isnt even large enough for a betta, let alone a tank mate. You should upsize your tank before thinking about another fish.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum....

In a half gallon tank....I would not recommend adding any other fish....the smallest size tank that you can safely add some-allbeit limited- species of fish along with the Betta is 10gal

When you stock a tank it is important that you meet the needs of all the fish and other livestock....based on adult size of the fish, territory needs, swimming needs, chemistry and temp needs...etc.......

The half gallon for the Betta is barely large enough for it alone....be sure and make the proper water changes of 2-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality to prevent health problems.....sadly it is too small to safely add a heater but you still need to monitor the water temp to maintain it in the 76-80F range.....

Good luck and love to see some pics.....

#4 ·
A half gallon tank is too small for a betta, let alone anything else. Please upgrade him to at least a gallon! The bigger the better, because bettas need heaters to keep the water at 77-82F. They are tropical fish. If you were to get a 10g you could get some fish tankmates, but no smaller. If you got him a 5g you could get some shrimp or snails to go in with him. But again, please upgrade, and until you do, you need to do 100% DAILY water changes to keep him healthy, bad water quality means a dead fish. :/

#11 ·
I read online you could have a max. of 8 fish in a ten gallon. So if bettas arent schooling fish(of course males would kill each other, and mines a male I believe), could I just get a bunch of like mini common fish (like 5) and put them in a ten gallon tank? And put my betta in there also?

#15 ·
Yeah, as said, you are going to pick up a 10g to put those fish in, right? Also, in the 10g, while the tank cycles, you will need to do about 50% water change a week to prevent the ammonia levels from getting toxic to your fish. It's best to wait a month or so with just the betta in there to cycle it, then add other fish... neon tetras are especially sensitive, so if you dont do waterchanges they will die and you'll have wasted your money. Please remember to think things through and not impulse buy while you're in the store...

#18 ·
Sorry for forgetting to message back. I bought 12 goldfish for 1.50 for my friends first early birthday present. I'm thinking of getting a bigger tank and then I'm gonna get more fish. My friend put all of the goldfish with her betta fish in a 1 gallon tank. I feel bad, but only 2 died so far. Thanks for all the advice.:-D

#21 ·
Oh no. :( Poor goldfish. ONE goldfish really needs 30 gallons... They get really big. The reason people don't know that is because the fish never live long enough for them to find out. Gold fish are super messy, and 12 in a one gallon along with a betta will spike ammonia so high you would need to change the water multiple times daily. That is, if the ammount of space wasn't already going to kill them alone..

"Only 2 of them have died." If someone said that about humans, there would be outrage. Every life is a life. 2 to me is the same as all 12. It's still sad.

#26 ·
Your probably right FM12, but here is my two cents anyways:

Like stated before: goldfish cannot live with a betta, because of temp and filtration needs. One fantail goldfish needs 20g+10 for each additional fish. Comets/feeders need 80g each. 12 would need a 1600g POND. For tank mates for a betta, a ten gallon is needed. Neon tetras are known to nip fins, and Cory catfish need a sand/small gravel substrate AND need to be in groups of 4+.

If you ask me, I would get a 5+ gallon and divide it. And get another betta. 0.5g is WAY to small for a betta. 2.5 is the min. They need heat as well.

#30 ·
If you ask me, I would get a 5+ gallon and divide it. And get another betta. 0.5g is WAY to small for a betta. 2.5 is the min. They need heat as well.
There are many respected members who keep Bettas in 1g and they do great. Please be respectful of those who do so much work to keep their Bettas happy in a smaller tank :) Just saying :) I have my Hughie in a 0.8g, he's ecstatic in there! He will upgrade eventually, but it's not horrible.

#28 ·
All I have to say is *head desk* Why?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.