Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about rescuing...

330 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tonksy 
#1 ·
Hi betta people.

After one of my bettas (Tesla) died a while back, I was grieving and hadn't felt so inclined to get more bettas for several months. I just took care of and enjoyed the ones I had, and didn't visit the forum so much anymore. Yesterday, I went to a reptile expo and met a betta breeder. She had this adorable little baby CT, and from that moment I knew he was mine. I have since been re-bitten by the betta bug, and I want to start a sort of small rescue program. I was thinking of starting out with the milder cases, just as practice, before moving on to the really unhealthy bettas.

What kind of setup should I have for them? I was thinking perhaps a bunch of 5 gallon bare-bottom tanks with silk plants, betta hammocks, heaters of course, a terra cotta flower pot, and maybe an indian almond leaf. (The water would also be dosed with API Stress Coat+.) I would probably only be taking in a few at a time, as I'd plan to keep all of them for myself and it would give me some time to set up 10-20 gallon divided tanks for when they're cured. ;)

Any ideas on what I should have in my "medicine cupboard"? I was thinking:

• AQ salt
  • IAL
  • Maracyn
  • Maracyn 2 (I already own this)
  • Epsom salt (Unscented)
  • *Possibly* API General Cure (is this safe for bettas?)
  • Anything else you'd recommend?

Also, what types of illness should I stay away from as a beginner?

Anything else I should know? I'm not planning to start this project until later in the year.

Thanks!

Saphira

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's MoondShadow's Rescue information thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=118384

I, personally, started rescuing about 8 months ago now and I love it.

However, realize now that not every fish can be saved. I've had many where they were too far gone or resistant to meds to come back strong.

Also.. extra nets, tongs for food, etc. You have to be extremely careful about cross contaminating.
Instead of using my hands to gather bloodworms to feed my betta (I have 7 right now), I use metal tweezers that have been sanitized, stay away from tank water, and I don't touch the prongs.
Boil the nets and make sure you don't use the same net for different tanks as it could lead to spreading the diseases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.