Betta Fish Forum banner

Sunshine is getting ready!

774 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  AltheaGlyndwr 
#1 ·
So I've had this betta Sunshine for a couple months now. Well some stuff happened and well, he's going to go to a new home soon. I want to perpare him and her (his soon to be owner) for the transition.

She lives across from me in my apartment complex (like open the door, knock on hers, I'm there). She hasn't had fish before but her niece has had tons of bettas. She is getting an old (I told her the largest they had assuming it was between 1 gal and 5.) betta tank from her mother who has all of said neices old supplies. Informed her that we might be cycling if it is big enough and she gets a filter and all that. If we cycle then it'll be about a month. If we can't then it will probably be sooner. Anyway, what kinds of things should I be sure to tell her about? I already intend to introduce her to this site for one. I know she'll need a heater and I will help her get the basic water fixing supplies and food but what else? (Also giving her his marimo moss ball)

Also I want to make sure that Sunshine is as healthy as I can make him. I am almost certain that he's healthy right now, but I am wondering on some things.

He likes to just float at the top or bottom for extended amounts of time. One of the only and main times I see him move around is when I feed him or start touching the bowl. Could something me wrong with him? About once a week I've noticed him drop one huge terd but that's all :/. He has seemed to want to almost jump his mouth through the surface to get air. He is kinda clamped? But seeing as he doesn't really swim around much he just kinda.... sits with his fins still.

I have him on a little AQ salt to help repair his fins more for a couple days. Gonna remove and not add more when I change the water again tomorrow afternoon.

I really love this little guy and we've been through some stuff but she liked him so well... and then I found this new boy who has the loveliest green on his tail with white trim(Although annoyingly had turned out to be a tail biter!!) It just made sense. She is super excited and I don't want to give him to her with any problems.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would write down the link to this forum and tell her that it's a good place to ask for information.
Once you figure out the size of the tank, and of she will cycle it, let us know and we can tell you a water change schedule to use.
Make sure she knows about water conditioner ;)

Your betta is clamped? What temperature is the tank you have him in now?

#3 ·
I actually haven't been able to get a heater to fit in there right and the only extra one that I have right now is non adjustable and just keeps heating and keeps heating until whenever it decides to stop :/ I don't want to burn him out, but how hot is the hottest a betta likes it to be? I could try monitoring his temp but I'm gone for work 9+ hours at a time and I don't want to come home to a cooked fish. When I bought the heater I didn't realize that it just kept heating and kept heating.... I just saw that it was for a gallon sized space. He's in a round plastic bowl (one of those ones with the colored light changing lid. He probably is cold though and now I feel bad because that is totally gotta be his problem and I was a bad mom and didn't think about that with him >.> (Why would I consider it with the other two but totally not with Sunshine? oi! I feel lame.). Should I use the unstable small heater or wait with no heater until thursday when I get paid and can go and get him a new setup? :/ Unstable temps or cold I guess is my question. Which would be better? o.o;;

#4 ·
Also once she does get the tank I am totally going to update. Already fully intend to give her the website and of course enforce the "always add water condtioner" for her. I want it to be a great smooth transition and experience for them both :) I wish I knew what size the tank was going to be! Then I'd just get the heater for that size and give it to her. But then heater for 2-5 gallons aren't really good for the 1 gallon. I've also gotta make sure she knows to get a hospital 1 gall from her mother too. I could give her the one he's already in though if she needs.

I have an idea. Since the one heater just heats and heats, should I put that one in Titan's (my victim of velvet) tank so that it can get really warm in there and clean his current heater well and put it in Sunshine's tank? I might be able to get it to sucshion somewhere.... It keeps about 78 degrees, Titan's heater. Maybe Titan needs the intense heating? Or is unpredictable bad all the way?

#6 ·
Alright. What is the best way to clean Titan's heater so that I can make sure I don't give Sunshine Velvet?

#7 ·
You can clean it with vinegar and water- id get a wash rag and put water & vinegar on it ;)

#8 ·
Perfect. Thank you :D I'm sure he'll perk up in no time! XD I'm excited~

Now that I think about it, the poor guy hasn't really had a heater in any either of his hops tanks(would explain his behavior >.<). The first because it was too small and I didn't intend on getting any more bettas so I figured the .7 gal as a hosp and the 5 gal as his home would be cool but then I got Mystique... then Flutter... And it snowballed and I finally got him a 1 gal but all the store I'd gone to at the time had was bowl 1 gals and the heater I'd gotten kept heating and heating and I couldn't find a 1 gal heater that would stop. But then I recently have found one and both boys I thought had velvet or ick (Titan who DOES have velvet and Flutter who I am still not sure about) got a heater. I'm glad I've finally figured it out. I guess the unpredictable heater will be my ick/velvet/parasite heater huh? XD Seeing as it need to get really hot.

But honestly, what is the warmest a betta can handle without killing or harming or bothering him?

#10 ·
Did the transfer. So Sunshine got REALLY curious about it and played with it for a while. Now he's just swimming around. More than he was before anyway~ I think it's making him happy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.