Betta Fish Forum banner

Sleeping Patterns

Tags
betta sleep
637 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Nicci Lu 
#1 ·
I am not sure if my betta is completely ok. He has been laying on the floor of his tank for the last couple of hours. He may be trying to get out of the light to sleep because my roommates are inconsiderate and often leave the light on when they go into the living room (at 4:00 am and 8:00 am respectively). He is probably only getting 3-6 hours of dark, maybe less. I also royally screwed up when trying to get a picture of him. my stupid new phone turned on the flash because it was dark so he started flaring. He calmed down after I fed him. He was flaring when I took the following picture so his gills are out (he doesn't normally have a huge bulge like in the picture)

This is a picture of his new colors, which I don't know if they are because of some illness or because he is just getting his color (he is a fairly new betta fish).

He also has that new decoration which may be the problem. In the picture you can see it looks dusty on the surface but when I look down on it after taking off the lid it looks completely fine. I just changed his tank 3 days ago, 2 gallon tank. he is still eating fine, and vigorously at that.

See less See more
#2 ·
When you say 'laying'... is he still upright, or actually laying on his side? I s he breathing heavy, or normal? If he's upright and breathing normal, I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he's just catching some z's.

I had to start putting a towel around my tanks at night because my daughter insists on having the hall light on. Maybe this might help your boy get some peace at night.

#3 ·
I was planning on doing the towel thing; he was upright and I didn't notice any heavy breathing. I went to class for a couple hours and left him in the dark. When I got back of course some lights were on but I turned the rest on and he perked right up and has been swimming around fine. Thanks for the reassurance!

#4 · (Edited)
As an update I was thinking his decorations were making him ill so I planned on switching them out. I did the towel trick and he did sleep well I think because he was active for awhile. I thought I saw little specks of paint on the top so I got his water dechlorinated and did some homework, and when I came out to change his stuff I noticed they were just a few solitary bubbles (no paint chips). And then in the back I noticed what appears to be a bubble nest.

Can anyone confirm this as a bubble nest? It would be a relief for me to have that physical confirmation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.