Betta Fish Forum banner

Picking my first betta!!!

2K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  lexyfly 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to get a half-moon betta and wanted to know if they are good beginner fish. I really want one of those instead of the common veils they always have at petco. I was wondering if there was any breed specific things I would need to know. :-D Thanks!! :-D:):):):cool:

#4 ·
Ok thanks!! I am glad they are not super hard to take care of or something because I am in love with them!!! And yes I love them because of their big beautiful fins! <3

#5 ·
Just a general tip for long finned males. You'll want to start with silk decorations. My delta tail male not only bit his tail, but he liked to kind of squish himself in places, which tore up his fins and gave him a nasty case of finrot. I switched him from gravel to sand, switched his plastic out for live plants, and he's now healing up nicely. I could have saved some money if I'd started out expecting him to be the delicate little flower he is. (not all halfmoons are, but better to ere on the side of caution).

#6 ·
Ok I will keep that in mind thank you!!

#7 ·
Check International Betta Congress' judging standards as a point of reference when picking one from the store. Most LFS or LPS have " starter" fish. Male with longer fins like HM are handsome, but it also have effects on how they swim and turn since they have to accommodate the fins in making twists and turns. Also more prone to infection. So I'd say HM will be a harder fish to keep if this is your first one. BTW, VT have a friendlier trait in terms of interacting with the owner. This is my experience. I have a HM after my first VT Fred died.

#9 ·
Check International Betta Congress' judging standards as a point of reference when picking one from the store. Most LFS or LPS have " starter" fish. Male with longer fins like HM are handsome, but it also have effects on how they swim and turn since they have to accommodate the fins in making twists and turns. Also more prone to infection. So I'd say HM will be a harder fish to keep if this is your first one. BTW, VT have a friendlier trait in terms of interacting with the owner. This is my experience. I have a HM after my first VT Fred died.
Could you please simplify that for me? I have no idea what the LFS or the LPS is! :-?

#8 ·
All really good info since I am currently battling the urge to buy a HM myself.

I really must restrain myself lmao.

#12 ·
Are you familiar with all the tail types, Lexy? Doubletails are beautiful too, if you can find one.

My local petsmart has some right now. *Smiles as if I'm under control* LOL

#14 ·
Thanks for all the advice!! I might have to look at some more. I will check the pet store and check out what they have!! Thank you everybody!!

#16 ·
I have has tetras and guppys and goldfish before. I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank and will feed him betta pellets. And I plan on cleaning with 100% water changes so I won't be able to cycle it. I have done a ton of research on this site and more. I believe I am prepared.

#18 ·
Lexy, sounds like you've done your research and are well prepared for your new friend.

Have you seen the wonderful thread on smaller tanks? Some are truly beautiful and the Bettas are happy and healthy. It's a bit more difficult to keep the parameters in a smaller aquarium, but as the thread I mentioned shows, it can be done and done well.

I have two HM and love them. While sometimes they can be problematic, those long, flowing tails are beautiful to watch and what first attracts most of us to Bettas in the first place, right? :)

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

#21 · (Edited)
Hm are fine, they are no less friendly then other fish, and they are not as prone to tail biting as this thread makes them appear. Tail biting, by the way, can be caused by a ton of things, a strong current is just one reason. Some bettas will just start tail biting for no reason! And vt, while not as common, can bite their tails too. Really, tail biting is a possibility in any long finned type (except maybe crowntail). 1.5g is absolutely fine, but you have to remember that you will be doing two or three 100% water changes a week with that, and aware of the fact that water parameters are unstable. I would always suggest a bigger tank, but 1.5 is just fine. You also have to remember that you need a heater to keep him warm.

themountain, just so you are aware, linking to other forums is not allowed and that link will be removed when a mod sees it.

#24 ·
Lexyfly, I actually recommend the 1.5g if this is your first betta & you have your heart set on an HM. The reason is that it helps to have a smaller tank to learn how to cup a betta with all that finnage for water changes. Also like others have commented, HMs have a higher risk of being tail biters & any current from filters can exacerbate the problem. Just make sure you have a heater & keep up with the water changes & you'll be fine. I've found that first time betta owners have less stress starting with smaller tanks & upgrade later.

#28 ·
I have to advocate for 5+ gallon, not that I don't have tanks smaller than 5. BUT the amount of upkeep for 5 or less kills me. I sometimes feel that my life revolves around WC every night with just 2 tanks less than 5 gallons. Cycled larger tanks are much easier maintain.

#26 ·
I know many people who have had happy bettas live long happy lives in a small "betta tank". I also know someone that has had her fish for 2 years and feeds him flakes. And yes their beautiful tails r what attracted me in the first place.

#27 ·
Thank you all for your help!!! I am glad they r not as bad at tail biting as they seem from this thread!!! I was getting worried that it was inevitable!! I have my heart set on a HM and plan on getting a black orchid. I realize that I need to clean it more often than a big tank but can't afford a really large tank and would have nowhere to put it. Thank you all for your kindness and readiness to help!!

#32 ·
sorry guys i am at work didn't have chance to read all thread ,just want to give one link that i think is helpful
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066
Also when you buy a betta make sure it don't have any sign of the disease. The simple and easy recognizable signs are: bloating, laying on the bottome, hanging on the top, white spots on the body. You want to make sure betta has bight colors,long flowing fins,full fins. Make sure there is no dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged''.
And when you will bring betta home make sure you introduce him slowly to the new water temperature, chemicals. A few ways to do that...Make sure you have water conditioner. If you can buy Prime by Seachem
I am going to put another thread how to acclimate the betta to the new water
So sorry if i repeat that someone already said...

#35 ·
alright. I had 2 veiltails as my "starter" fish and they were great. I got females no males. I didn't get a male til 4 months later. My male shredded his fins and I had never got them healed. I stopped buying LPS bettas. They die quick. I now own 5 Marble Dragon Halfmoon females (pics in my album) and one Metallic Green Crowntail Female. If you want a Halfmoon I'd suggest a female until you get use to owning a betta. My veiltails were very friendly. I loved how they got along together in a 1.5 gallon tank til I bought a 10 gallon tank for them.

lexyfly, you want to save money then wait until Petco has their $1 a gallon sale on plan tanks and go get yourself a 10 gallon tank and only have to spend like $11. That will save you money. I have two 10 gallon tanks, one 2 gallon tank, and one 1.5 gallon tank. However tomorrow I found 2 people around me who are getting rid of their tanks so I will be getting a 55 gallon tank for $25 and a 40 gallon tank with a stand for $70. Look around you at garage sales. Try looking on craigslist around you to see if people have tanks/aquariums they are selling for reasonable prices. I will tell you what a friend who also owns bettas told me. "If you want a used tank that has NO LEAKS/CRACKS then use the $1 per gallon thought." Meaning don't buy a tank that is more that the amount of money it is in gallons unless it has a stand and/or added accessories. So if you want to get a 30 gallon tank with a stand then it shouldn't be anymore than $60 if that unless it has other items with it.

#37 ·
Personally i think the tank minimum is 2.5 gallons but if you keep up with water changes 1.5 should keep your fish perfectly happy. As for the tail type, I have had several half moons and none of them have had a tail biting issue. I think that any fish that catches your eye will be your perfect first betta. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.