Betta Fish Forum banner

The edge is red

669 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  norico 
#1 ·
Hello there,

My white betta has red top of his fin. Also his fin is cut & cut. It looks like fin rot.
And I put salt and Indian Almond Leaf a week. But he's still red.
And I add medicine, but it doesn't work. I give up now. How can I do him ?
Which medicine is work ?

Thank you,

#2 ·
Can you post a pic? What size tank? Heated? Filtered? When you say "red on top" are you talking about the edges or close to the body? Are you sure its not just his coloring, they will change colors. More often than not clean, warm, conditioned water is all that is needed to heal up fin rot, but what you're describing does not sound like fin rot. Fin Rot is typically black edges. A picture would really help.

#3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply.
My tank size is 10 gallon, with heater and filter, water plants and pot.
He has only red top of his fin. He has two red.
He doesn't like a camera. I can't take a pic.
Is it good for Tetracycline or Fran ?
He has red a month.

Thank you,

Attachments

#4 ·
How often are you doing water changes & how much water are you changing? Have you tested your water with a liquid water test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? It's hard to tell from the pic if its red from his coloring or if its red from an injury. To avoid infection if it is an injury you'll have to keep the water extra clean. I would do twice weekly 50% water changes with a good vacuuming & once he's better keep up with weekly 50% water changes. As for meds, I've not used them but if its an infection an antibiotic is what would be needed. Hopefully somebody else can advise better on that.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Most white bettas eventually get red hues. Pure white is extremely rare.

Please fill this out with more info: And a full pic would be nice. It may just be a normal color.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Thanks, here you are
Housing
What size is your tank? 10gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari and red wooms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%&100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner sometime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has red top of his Pectoral and Anal fin, and cut. It looks like brushing.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I put Indian Almond leaf and salt, then don't change. After that I used Antibacteria. It works, after that I retun his tank, then he has same tored and cut fin.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3.5months

If I get chance, I'll take pic again.

Thank you,

#8 ·
There is no need for a 100% water change in a 10g tank nor is there a need to more than one water change per week unless there is something off with your water. I have 3 cycled 10g tanks that get weekly 50% water changes. Also, you should be using a water conditioner with each water change unless your tap water has absolutely no chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. Have you checked your filter intake, plants, decorations for the possibility he may be getting injured on any of it? I know the intake tube for my filters have openings that their fins can & have gotten sucked into & damaged, I have stuffed with pre-filter sponge to stop that. I know it's frustrating, sometimes we can't figure out what happened & just have to treat what we're seeing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.