Betta Fish Forum banner

Axolotl surprise!! Eggs!

45K views 483 replies 54 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
So I just moved, and had the axxies in a bowl overnight, because I was exhausted last night and didn't have the energy to set up their aquarium.... When I went to bed, they were fine, in fact I shot a cute picture of them:

Ruth and Toothless yin-yang! XD

now, when I woke up and went to check on them, I find this... O.O

I freaked!! Lmao!! I can't believe it! So of. Purse I put them in another bowl... And I am going to TRY to raise these little guys....

I don't know what I'm doing!! Yay! XD

Anyone know of a good place to get teeny live food things?

See less See more
#3 ·
GIZMO!
You genius of... odd pets!

I'd go to the classifieds, a lot of people are selling live food cultures right now, you should probably get some of those (if the babies will eat those sorts of things).

I always remember reading that dark axies often pick on the albinos.. CLEARLY not the case!

#7 ·
Lmao!! I didn't even try! Heck I thought they were both female... But I was wrong! XD

They won't hatch for another three weeks at least, so I'll wait till its closer to paruse the classifieds... :3

And I believe Toothless is the mom, which is funny, since she is bigger. XD

OMG! Congrats! I've always wanted an axolotl...hope all goes well. :D
I might be selling these dudes when they get big enough to ship, lol do you might still get one!!

Maybe the store you got them from will be your breeding mentor? Congrats!
Actually these guys were pity buys from horrible pet stores, but I am a member of an axolotl forum! Hee Hee!

#4 ·
OMG! Congrats! I've always wanted an axolotl...hope all goes well. :D

#6 ·
OMG cutest thing ever! Congrats! I hope everything goes well. I would start up some BBS asap!

#8 ·
If you sell them... I'll buy a couple. My husband has been wanting one of these for years, but always says it's too much work.. even though I'll doing all the work, lol.

#12 ·
They really aren't that hard to take care of, a couple earth worms every other day when they are full grown and regular water changes, I don't have a filter in my tank, just a bubbler to keep everything from getting stagnant. Lol

They look awesome together! :3 How do you care for them exactly? And what tank size? I'm not even sure if my LFS has them... :\
I have my two in a thirty long, and I will be keeping at least two of the babies, so I'll have four in a thirty long.
Most LFSs don't carry them, though you might be able to get lucky. :)

That's such wonderful news!!! Congratulations, Gizmo -- best of luck with the eggs! :D
Thanks so much!

I would take one if I had the room. :(
They don't take up much space, you can keep a single adult in a ten gallon easily. :)

#18 ·
Lmao!! Actually Tupperware is what most breeders raise their larvae in... And I have a bunch of that! Once they are big enough to eat non-live food I'll be shipping them out anyway, well most of them. X3 so I won't need a huge amount of space.

#20 ·
I've done research on them a few years ago but I will need to touch up my info...

Well hopefully all goes well! Keep us updated because I would love to see them grow up!

And of course, your first customer is right here. ;)

#22 ·
Can't SEND them to Canada... But I'm only a few hours from the border in Spokane wa. ;)

And I don't know yet how much I'll be selling them for, probably $10-$15 a piece... Considering their parents cost me about $60 each, that's a steal!

#31 ·
I figured it would be, but I'm totally willing...to a certain limit (IE not if shipping is like $100)

#27 ·
AWESOME!!!
I'd totally buy some!
But right now I'm at my pet limit :)
I have 11 animals....and I'm in a super-competitive high school so I barely have time for them now.
But I wish you the best of luck with your new babies!!
Axolotls are awesome....I hope the eggs all hatch safely and there are no casualties ♥

#28 ·
I've never seen an Axolotl before and wow, they're awesome! And little tiny babies of them... I hope it's not presumptuous of me to say that I look forward to pictures of the little guys. :)

#29 ·
Congratulations!!! I want one so badly! I might have to get an extra aquarium:) (If my parents will allow me to get one lol).

#30 · (Edited)
Lol!! I will deffinately be posting tons of pictures! They develop slowly the first couple weeks, but after that it should be awesome to watch!!

Depending on how many make it (there are roughly 70 eggs), I would be more than happy to supply you all with a baby or two! XD

EDIT new picture of eggs... And two baby trapdoor snails that I stuck in the bowl to keep them from being eaten for now lol!

#32 ·
Depending on how many make it (there are roughly 70 eggs), I would be more than happy to supply you all with a baby or two! XD
:O And I can justify it to my family by saying you can't keep them! It's like I'm helping the neighbor down the street whose cat had 70 kittens!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.