Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawning Help Please

749 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bettas Rule 
#1 ·
So what do you guys do if the male doesn't collect the eggs. My HM pair has been embracing for the past hr... they are the first time breeders though so I am not worried about that its the fact that after this time he doesnt collect the eggs after he squeezes them out of the female, who just ends up eating them. Is this somthing I should worry about? and should I chock this spawn up as a failure?

#2 ·
Usually the pair doesn't eat all of them. You can either move the eggs and artificially hatch them or leave them in there, and reduce the water level then hope for the best.

The male not tending to his eggs might be due to inexperience or some sort of health issue. You can keep him in there, but IME if he doesn't tend to them from the start, then he probably won't take care of them.

#3 ·
thanks Indjo he has a small collection of eggs but startles easy when I walk by (meaning the vibrations send him flipping out) I am trying not to disturb him hopefully he is caring for them.

#5 ·
Do you spend a lot of time with the male? I spend about 20 minutes a day with my fish and, they live in the busiest place in the house. We always steal a glance throughout the day too. lol I have wondered if fish that are more "socialized" to noises and people are easier to spawn. Its a theory I am working on :)

What do you think?

#6 ·
The males I spend the time around the most usually are the ones that are the most afraid to have me around when they have a nest... the ones I am not familiarized with have an easier time.
And he is a decent father they ended up spawning but he sucks at re collecting eggs or fry...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.