Betta Fish Forum banner

Need immediate help! Don't know what to do!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Thebettaqueen 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I got my first Betta today :) His name is Marlin. He is in his new one gallon tank right now. I used a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of distilled water and filtered (from the fridge) water. The water sat for about 5 hours and go to room temp. One problem: He is at the bottom of the tank and barely moving. He won't eat and seemed happier when I put him back in the store bought cut with 1/2 boiling water and 1/2 aquarium water. I ordered a heater http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details and it will be here tomorrow. Is the issue temperture? One more thing (well two more things :)) I have an air pump in the tank is it needed? Is the heater any good? And most importantly, how do I make him more happy? He is my first betta, and first fish in at least 4 years. (goldfish before him) (lived with monthly water changes in 1 gallon tank, weekly feedings), and lived for a year!

#2 ·
Well. De stilled or drinking water isn't the best to use, perhaps trying tap water and getting water conditioner should do the trick ;3 Oh, and in the future, possibly get a filter? Or remember to clean his tank once a week~ I hoped I helped in some way DX

#4 ·
Correct on tap water and conditioner..
A filter in a 1 gallon can cause too much current and could be stressful on the fish.. not to mention taking up space.
Regardless of filter, twice weekly water changes will need to be made- 1 50% water only, and 1 100% for unfiltered 1 gallons.
1 50% water only and 1 50% vacuuming per week for filtered 1 gallons.

Since the filter can cause too much current, take up space, and hard to siphon a 1 gallon without taking out all of the water within seconds.. just easier to not use a filter, imo :)

#3 ·
Welcome, sorry your new guy isn't doing so well..

Distilled and filtered and boiled water is not ideal to use in aquariums.. it lacks the necessary minerals. The best water to use is tap water (or if you have a well at your house) with water conditioner. Anything else is not beneficial to them.
So go ahead and fill up the new tank with tap water, use your glass aquarium thermometer to make sure it is roughly 78*F, and add in the appropriate amount of water conditioner.. float him in it for roughly 15 minutes, during that time take out a bit of the water from the cup (toss it away) and replace with water from the tank.. I suggest doing that twice at least.. this way he become acclimated to both the temp and the new chemistry.

Air pump is not needed, as bettas breathe using a labyrinth organ, and breathe the air we do.. the aeration can be too much for him in that small of a tank, and cause him to stress out.

The heater should be fine- when doing water changes, make sure to get the temp as close to 78 as possible so the heater won't have to work so hard heating the water back up.

Weekly water changes of 1 50% and 1 100% per week is needed in an unfiltered tank that is below 5 gallons. Use water conditioner each time with only tap water.

Feed daily, small multiple times a day.

Not to be mean, but goldfish should live for over 20 years.. so living just a year is not a good thing. Goldfish require 20 gallons minimum for a single goldfish, along with dual filtration... A betta has a life span of 3-5 years approximately.

Make sure in his tank you have silk plants to avoid ripping his fins.. a cave is also loved by males. A 1 gallon is a fine size for a single betta, just have to keep up on the water changes.

Otherwise.. get him in the appropriate water conditions, make sure the temp is 78* and he should come around. If not, it could be the stress of the move and new home, along with the stress of the different water being used if he wasn't acclimated properly.

Good luck to you..

#5 ·
Looks like Myates got everything covered! My only suggestion to add to that, is to try keeping him company.. or, leave him in the dark. Either works, but I preferred keeping mine company, and he's a very social fish. But the dark helps him to get rest and relax, so that may help his stress. He'll need his 8 hours without a light at least for the first few weeks as he's getting used to his new home ok? Then he can sleep and stuff...

Also, when you feed him, depending on the size of the pellets (if they're very small, like the size of a mechanical pencil lead/standard size) feed him about two in the morning, and another two or three at night. A good judge on how much to feed, is about the size of his eyeball. I had larger pellets when I first started, and had to soak them and cut them up because they were too big for him to swallow lol... Anyways, best of luck with your new fish! I hope he perks up soon :)

PS. It may just be him getting used to the new water.. Mine didn't even eat for 5 days when I first got him, sooo....

#6 ·
Ah yeah xD I think I was thinking of a bit of a larger tank with a block on the filter. ( I'm not sure what they're called, but I managed to build one with a tutorial ; D) But yeah. I used to keep my bettas in little tanks and I would usually clean them every 3 days. Jems, I did twice in a week since it was smaller.

#7 ·
Thank you so much for the help. Thermometer came back at 65. Fish still not eating, will try in the morning. Cut off air pump and fish rises to breathe. Turned off light on tank and turned reading light on and the fish is moving around :). He seems to like my plastic plant, and he will not stop staring at the coffee maker next to his tank :). Thank you all so much!

#8 ·
65 is way low.. I would of filled it with warmer water closer to 80, then wrap a towel around the tank until you get the heater to keep the warmth in.. the 65* temp is what is most likely causing him to not swim around..

#9 ·
never used distilled water. it is bad for bettas [and people].
always get a heater with a thermostat.
like everyone else said the air pump isnt needed. get a 3 gal tank or bigger if you want him to be happy. also it's more fun to decorate a larger tank.

#10 ·
It's really easy to feel overwhelmed at first, so hang in there.

I have a betta in a temporary 1.5g with a heater and frequent water changes keep him clean and happy. He'll go to a bigger tank soon, but a small tank is still better than a tiny cup full of fish pee. Clean water (tap water with conditioner in) is the main thing. Water changes seem fiddly at first but then they get to be routine and quick, and the fish get used to them too.

Don't worry if he won't eat for a few days. Offer him one flake or pellet, and be prepared to take it away if he doesn't eat it. Once he starts to eat, don't overfeed him in case of bloat and constipation (it's very easy to overfeed bettas as they beg for food in such endearing ways!) - have a feeding schedule and stick to it. I feed mine 2 x a day, 2 pellets each time, and the occasional snack of a brine shrimp or mosquito larva.

Check your plastic plant for sharp bits. Those can tear fins. He's better off without it if it's spiky or has rough edges.

You'll really notice a difference once you get your heater. Your betta will love the warmth, and become a lot more active. A larger tank is ideal, as they do enjoy swimming-space, but he'll live well enough in a clean 1 gallon.

Good luck with him, and do post some pictures once he's settled in.

#11 ·
Quick update, heater is in, after tons of adjustment and fluctuations, he is in at 82-84, was flaring at himself yesterday :), now he is swimming around crashing into the walls when I touch the tank. I bought Tetra Aquasafe Plus, is it safe for Bettas? if the directions say 5ML per 10 gallon, do I use 1/2 ml for my 1 gallon? How much is that? One more thing, he STILL won't eat his Tetra Betta Plus Pellets! I tried crushing them, but no avil! Is this normal?

#12 ·
Perhaps trying some other type of pellets? Or maybe blood worms? I say, try getting another type of pellets, and maybe some blood worms. A mix in a betta's diet is good for them :) I usually feed my guys Pellets in the morning and Freeze died blood worms in the evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.