Betta Fish Forum banner

BasementBettas on AB..bad fins!!

6K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
The betta was in a fight with another male...that explains it.

This breeder has placed in shows several times.

She's a pretty nice person too (I'm on another forum with her).

#3 ·

OH Dear me...."Home of show quality bettas"

#23 · (Edited)
OH Dear me...."Home of show quality bettas"
Considering I am currently ranked #2 in the US in the IBC point standings speaks to that remark. My steels went BoS and RBoS the last show in OK. I also have serveral Variety wins. I stand a good chance at finishing the season Reserve Grand Champion. And you are where in the point standings??
You can't recognize a quality fish with fins so you sure can't when they get tore up. I guess I could have fed him to my Oscar Trash instead of allowing his genetics and price to help another breeder.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasd&1297484402

Umm...So I think his fins are badly bitten :s Ive seen some very imperfect bettas from (this person) and others latley but...wow.

:( What do you think of him selling it like this? (hurt)
I didn't offer that fish for sale the day he had his fight. He was not stressed at the time of photographs and was in very good health when he shipped. You speak to things you know nothing of. Try breeding dragons or reds and see what they look like after spawning, if they are even still alive. As far as imperfect.. do you really think AB is were my "perfect" fish go? They are spawned then they given or sold to serious breeders.

Do these look imperfect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6pycIrGL4&feature=plcp

Or how about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZ8E9KIreo&feature=plcp

Maybe this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlAM1ngklA&feature=plcp

Fish like these don't even make it to the shows let alone AB.

#5 ·
i thought it said $8 PLUS $35 for shipping

#7 ·
then u have to add $2.50 for heat pack, and in the event of DOA he will only refund the fish price not the shipping

#10 ·
It's NOT about how the fish looks! It's about his GENES.

#12 ·
Guys, I know it got hurt in a fight, I meant what of it being injured and shipped, etc? geeeez. :/
Mr.V- Im sure she's nice. Her kindness was not in question.
What Im saying is, if he's been in a fight and will be shipped, is that more detramental to his health?
Yes, OFL, I know its easy to fix as well. Again, just the stress, etc. issue.

:/

#17 ·
Well long fin fish bite their tails in shipment (usually) so eaither way some damage is gonna happen.

#16 ·
He's cute, but if Id be dropping serious dough on an AB fish, it'd be one that looks like Monroe's fancy(?) types (Ilovethemomg!!) or a solid white.
Apparently my bf just got one and didnt say anything (gr, in the dog house for that), so its possible Id get one later on.

#19 ·
Import?

#21 ·
I paid big bucks for a fish with damaged fins. I don't see the issue? I think people tend to think torn fins are a bigger issue than they are. After the initial stress is over it's doubtful the fish feels much discomfort from them, if any. I see no reason why the fish couldn't be shipped. Nice fish IMO and a great price, especially if your going to breed since it's likely he's gonna get fin damage during spawning anyways.

#22 ·
It's nice to have a gorgeous fish from AB but IMO, if your buying a show quality betta and not breeding, to me, the great genes they have are going to waste. That's why I asked Jackie for a couple of pet quality fish. Sure, I could pay for a good show quality pair but what's the point if I'm not breeding?

#24 ·
Can't argue with point standings.

Perfect on AB doesn't really exist. No true breeder gives away their top fish and if they do, they only go to serious breeders who will actually spawn them.

Breeder's motto: Breed the best, show the rest.

#25 ·
No you can't. If you are going to trash me in a public forum I expect you to know what you are talking about. I did not build my reputation shipping injured fish.. all that whining about the stress and hurt fish. Should think people would have better things to do with their time. I believe the legal term would be slander.

Seems a few apologies are in order.

#26 ·
I don't think BB would ever jeopardize their fish by sending an unhealthy one. (I don't think anyone on aquabid would bother as it can just end up as more of a hassle since a DOA is more likely).
Fin damage isn't a big deal really, especially with a breeder since their water is always well maintained.
I've seen some adorable females on aquabid from BB. And unless you are showing/breeding, aquabid fish are really great. They don't have to be perfect if they are just pets. Breeders have to do something with the fish not good enough for breeding, and many of them still have great colors, which is what draws us pet people to them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#28 ·
LOL now I want to see the betta everyone is all worked up about!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.