Betta Fish Forum banner

How does your fish handle being netted?

Tags
net
1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mathkid 
#1 ·
I get that no fish really *likes* being netted, but mine really seems to hate it. He goes pale and instead of swimming around as usual he floats there and sulks at me. He gets over it in a few minutes, but he still seems a bit extreme about it.

I try to avoid netting - use cups whenever possible and gently tip things instead of any kind of pouring action. I use drip acclimation, and I have a soft brine shrimp net, so it shouldn't be hurting him. Is there something else I can be doing?

He's in a 5gal normally, so I can usually leave him in the aquarium for water changes. Right now he's in QT though, and I've decided it's easier to siphon water in and out at the same time (and do an ~95% water change) than try to net him in there.

#5 ·
Yeah, actually, I can't catch mine in the net unless the water level is super low - I have to pour him into it.

And I could sneak up on my other fish with a cup, but this guy is too fast. I've been bribing him with food and I expect I will convince him to swim into the cup on his own soon.

#6 ·
I don't use nets as they tend to be more stressful, and can very easily damage their fins and their slime coating.. ideally using the cups they come in are easier and less stressful then being chased by a net-

Wait until they come to the surface, or trick them using the tip of your clean finger just at the surface, or a piece of food dropped in.. when they are at the top, quickly dip in the cup to let the suction of the water entering the cup pull them into the cup. Sometimes it takes a couple tries, but eventually you will get them.
You can also use larger cups to get them if you think the small cup they came in is too hard/small for you to do it. I use a clean peanut butter plastic container on the ones who have become wise to my tricks and jump out of the cup- so I use it with a larger opening to catch them in.

Just a suggestion.

#8 ·
I've heard of keepers who have actually trained their fish to swim into their cup. Or they'll lure them in with food.

I can't do that. But with slow patient technique, I can sort of witch them into swimming into the cup. It's a little like cornering chickens, only slower and more graceful...and in 3D. Takes the right kind of Zen-like attitude, too, I find.

Practice might help. I don't know. I just discovered this and, as seldom as I do this, I guess it'll take years to get good at it.

#9 ·
More like a quick hand.. have the cup ready at the surface and as soon as they are at the top- dip the cup in next to them quickly and 8/10 times you are quick enough and the suction of the cup going into the water will snatch them up.

#12 ·
Leeniex said:
I have one that I have to use a net for and it's my least favorite 5 minutes of the week.
My least favorite 5 minutes too.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I feel better knowing I'm not alone. I'm sticking with the bribe-with-food-o-hay-you're-in-a-cup-here-have-more-food technique for now. He gets all panicky and stressed if I try to sneak-attack-suction him and fail, so for this guy, I figure it's better to be upfront about it. =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.