Betta Fish Forum banner

Homemade Rock Tunnel

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  soleilvie 
#1 ·
Today I was working on a rock structure that was intended to be a hiding place for my Betta's five-gallon tank. It ended up being more of an arch than a tunnel or cave, but that's fine with me.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the structure is safe to put in my Betta's tank. It is composed of hot glue, and those really smooth rocks you can buy at stores. I have it sitting in a sink full of water right now, just to get any loose glue particles of rock pieces off. Here is a photo of the arch-like thing:

See less See more
#6 ·
Hot glue doesn't hold up well under water over time. It may work for the short term and even if it did break with a fish under it odds are with rocks that small with a structure like that they'd be fine.

So basically it'll probably break down someday, but it should be fine for the tank.

#7 ·
Hot glue doesn't hold up well under water over time. It may work for the short term and even if it did break with a fish under it odds are with rocks that small with a structure like that they'd be fine.

So basically it'll probably break down someday, but it should be fine for the tank.
Actually, as soon as I read that I walked into the bathroom to find that the arch had fallen apart. Are there any better substances that will hold the rocks together?

#10 ·
Can ya use the putty that marine aquariest use to attach live rock together. I used to use it in my nano and pico tanks with no issues. It comes in a tube and ya knead it together till it becomes grey and then attach. Binds really well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.