Betta Fish Forum banner

2.5 gallon planted lighting ideas

9K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  gorillakev 
#1 ·
So last weekend I went to the Cbs show/auction and won me a new betta
I named him Steele here's the actual clip from the show

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4qu6S8Gbyc

I'm keeping him in a 1 gallon jar which should be fine for him, but when I was cleaning my garage I found a 2.5 gallon tank from before.

So I definitely want to do planted with flame moss and a couple of Anubias nana petite and maybe some red root floaters( if I can find them).

I want to know what kind of lights you guys and gals are using for your 2.5 gal aquariums.

I have a desk lamp but it doesn't fit on my shelf.

#2 ·
Flame moss is difficult the grow, definitely needs high lighting because mine died in my 33 aquarium where everything else is absolutely flourishing so that's my only warning. Unless you know it will do well, of course always great to give it a chance because it is a beautiful moss!

But my 3 gallon has a T8 fluorescent tube, the other one has an LED light clip which grows plants pretty well once they're acclimated to the water. There's a bunch of different ones if you look on Ebay, Amazon and wherever. They're good too because usually they bend so it can fit most places, the only thing then would be you wouldn't have a hood. You can get some plexi-glass or something if your really wanted to and get it cut to the shape of your 2.5 :) That's a bit much I know though.

Or you can use Saranwrap which is usually just a pain in the tushy.

#7 ·
Flame moss is kind difficult to grow in bigger tanks unless you have high light with co2. It might do ok in my application, since the lighting will be an inch or two away from the light. Most likely I'm going to tie or glue it to DW.

Luckily when I found my 2.5 it had its glass lid and dividers still in there. I want to go with a t8 also, but upon searching I can't find one.

My next option would be led.

#13 ·
Here's my lil DIY light I did for a 20l I decided not to use, I didn't even remember I made one.

I'm just going to cut the fixture to length.

I figure to paint it all white and add a reflector to get more par, rather than leave it all faux wood look inside.

#22 ·
That's what I was thinking it was either all rock,or rock and manzinita, or just manzanita only. I'm going to scape with all rock just to see if I like it.

I was also thinking dhg as the foreground hc is a possibility though. Blyxa japonica maybe regular sag as the background. Then tie bits and pieces of flame moss on some of the tips of driftwood.

I have microswords in my other tank and it might not go well in this small tank.

It's going to take me a while to set this tank up with other tanks I'm dealing with right now. I might as well plan ahead till everything is all figured out. This will be my 6th tank online when I eventually get around to it.

Thanks for the input

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.