Betta Fish Forum banner

Airstones when Betta in tank?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fishyinpa 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if it would be ok to have an airstone in the tank where I have my Betta along with my other fish (guppies, mollies, platys and corys)?
I put 1 in the tank this afternoon, it`s not what I would call a rampant flow of bubbles and I don`t intend to have it going all the time, but I`m not sure whether to leave it in after reading some posts on the forum this afternoon. The fish don`t seem phased or bothered about the bubbles at all but my tank is planted with live plants and it`s maybe not good to have the flow of bubbles in the tank too (or so I`ve read) :-?

Your advice as always would be appreciated 8)

(I`ve posted a pic showing where abouts in the tank the airstone is, middle of the tank coming up around the stones):

See less See more
#2 ·
Some bettas really tend to enjoy bubbles, so I wouldn't be too worried. I'd turn the flow down a bit though, in the pic it seems to be going at a pretty good pace, which is probably a bit too strong for a betta to enjoy. The only real downside of bettas and airstones is that the bubbles can disturb the surface of the water, and destroy a betta's bubblenest. But a bubblenest is not necessary for a betta's well-being, so I wouldn't be worried over that.

#4 ·
Thanks dramaqueen! :-D

Thanks Nataku for your input, I`ve bought a couple of valves to slow the air flow down as the pump I have didn`t have anything where I could alter it. The bubbles are a lot slower and more gentle now, most of the fish are happily swimming through and seem to be playing in the bubbles.
As the airpump is a dual out I put another small airstone under the galleon and Shimmer is actually spending time sat outside the opening and letting the air bubbles `tickle` him......it`s so funny to watch, he`s a big softy. I`m becoming more mesmerized by him every day lol

Thanks again :-D

#6 ·
nice looking tank! i just put an airstone in with Roja...she seems to enjoy it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.