Betta Fish Forum banner

Dealing with Filter Current

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BBgirl 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with your tank's water output creating a disruptive current. I just tried wrapping pantyhose around the output, and now Sir Max can go to the surface and eat to his heart's content, but that may be because I left the cover off after feeding him or because of the current.

Any ideas? More hose? Tall plants?

eMel

#2 ·
Mel ~

I am NO expert I'm very new to the world of Betta's and learned everything I know from this site. LOL BUT... I have a LARGE tall bushy plant in front of my filter (because I read Betta's don't like current). Anyway the water is calm and I really think that plant reduces the current in the tank plus it hides the filter yet the filter works just fine keeping the water clean. I've done this in 2 tanks... and it seems to work for me!

Sorry I can't be of more but it couldn't hurt to try. ;-)

#3 ·
I have a baffle I built out of a plastic water bottle. Just cut the ends off, then cut the remaining tube lenghtwise. Now you have a curved piece of plastic. Attach one end to the filter cover and stretch the other end so that it curls around the outflow. This diffuses the current to the back of the tank and also cuts down on the power of the outflow a LOT. In the tank that I used it on there is no current at the top, and the little current that is left is so weak that my fish will play in it :) If you can't understand how to do it from these instructions I can post a pic.

#4 ·
I can totally see it in my mind! Did you use ordinary rubber bands to hold it in place?

#5 ·
I actually just duct taped it to the filter cover :p

#7 ·
Yeah, it worked a lot better than I even thought it would when I made mine :) Now I don't worry about filters too much because I know I can always just make a baffle if they are too powerful.

#8 ·
I tried to make one like this today and I was worried about my little guy getting caught on the cut edges. Am I being over paranoid because I know Rusty would love to be able to use more of his tank.

#9 ·
I've never had a problem. Mine doesn't really hang into the water that much though.

#10 ·
My filter is submersible so it's in the tank with the fish so I worry about them getting caught up on the bottle. It's working to decrease the flow without decreasing filtration though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.