Betta Fish Forum banner

Velvet or something else? Dying fish.

541 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Jiirim 
#1 ·
Roy is very susceptible to disease (he gets sick practically every other week even though I give him the best conditions possible...) The first week I had him he had a very bad case of fin rot from the store, then the next week he was too lethargic to eat, then the week after he got Ammonia poisoning.
I thought this time it was ammonia poisoning too but I may be wrong now. His symptoms have changed.

At first he started out as lethargic and hid in his house all day. Then he became extremely pale colored (he's an HM rainbow colored with very bright blue body and multicolored fins.) and had clamped fins and refused to swim. Then he had symptoms that seemed like partial swim bladder since he would swim sideways and bump into things.

I checked up on him today and found what looks like rust spreading over his body. Very clearly visible and it does not look like dust. He now hangs around on the top of his tank laying on his plant and breathing fairly irregularly. I have never seen the red coloring and it definitely is not natural. His scales also seem to be "fluffed up" a little, like a pine cone.

I've been doing water changes every other day. I feed him smaller amounts of food (if he doesnt eat I remove most of the food) but he seems to get worse. What's happening to my fish? :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Your betta's symptom is called "dropsy". It is caused mainly by an internal infection of some sort... Try this out, make your betta as comfortable as possible. Put some aquarium salt in the water, some IAL, and treat with Maracyn and Maracyn 2. Try and maintain low light around him. I gotta be real though... when you see a fish that has dropsy, it is because it already has massive intestinal failure (kidney, gas tract, or something). It's condition may be irreversible, or it may not. Try it and see what happens.

#3 ·
I researched some more and figured out it was Dropsy, thanks. I'll keep him in low light. I already dosed him with some meds that help with parasites and bacteria, but I don't have transportation to get aquarium salt or anything else. He's always been a sickly fish so I should have seen this coming... I'm going to try my best and make him better :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.