Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #1 
SANROMAN

finally set up my new tank

Hey guys my name is Roman I'm new to owning a fish and new to this forum. I bought my betta exactly a week ago on a whim. I was looking at fish at my local petco and the young lady working there suggested I look at a betta since according to her they were low maintenance and didn't require much space. She left me alone and I checked them out. I wasn't planning on buying anything that night but I found a small little red guy who would not stop looking at me and I bought him along with a tiny half gallon container to put him in. I did a ton of research that night and the days following. I learned allot and realized I would need a bigger tank. I have since bought a ten gallon tank and made a divider since I want to eventually get a second betta. I set up the tank today and was checking on here to get some advice for moving little Cho'gath into his new home The Void.

Thank you in advance for your help
SANROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #2 
Micho

You can make your own dividers, there's a lot of the topics floating around here for making them so you can search that by yourself. :)

You should cycle the tank, you could do a in fish cycle with Cho'Gath, because it would better for him, better than living in that 0.5g.

Make sure your tank is heated, grab some nice food, people recommend NLS and OO here, Atison's if you can find it.

Decorate however you like to~ You can use sand, or gravel for substrate, or even go bare and not have any substrate. Silk plants are cheap and nice for decorations, if you wanna do live plants you'll have to research a bit in that area, we have sub-forum for that. :)

Hehe, you should get a purple Betta and call him Malzahar. ;)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #3 
SANROMAN

Haha I wanna get a white one and call it Kog'maw or a purple and name him Kha'zix
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #4 
SANROMAN

I also made a divider today and a heater is definitely not necessary right now. I live in Fresno aka hell. It is super hot and we usually keep the house at 80 degrees but our ac is broken until Monday so it's actually been hotter than hell
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #5 
Midori

Welcome to the world of Betta fish! One good thing is you will have plenty of time to do research on heaters before you buy one. I think pretty much anyone in California doesn't need a heater in the summer as long as you don't keep your house in the 60's with the AC. I'm always having to unplug heaters on my animals in the summer. So I don't cook my fish or reptiles.
Midori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #6 
SANROMAN

Exactly it's winter that I have to worry about but I'll have saved up enough money and done enough research by then

If winter ever comes
Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 
BettaCane

Welcome! I know what you mean about not needing the heater. I'm in south FL and we keep our house warm. That plus the light I have for my live plants keeps my tank around 80˚ constantly :]
BettaCane is offline   Reply With Quote