Betta Fish Forum banner

Anyone know what kind Junior is?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  lillyandquigly 
#1 ·
I got my Junior as a baby just labeled "betta baby" at Petco. He/she was not colorful at all, very small.

Now he/she is growing and I don't know if he's a he of she's a she! OR what kind it is. He's probably a couple months old now.

I know it might be too early to tell but I think he might be a she =/

I call him my baby boy lol

#2 ·
SHE is a Combodian Veil Tale Female lol. (best guess) she is showing stress.... anything inn the water kinda weirding her out? whats the temp?maybe add some AQ salt for good measures...

#3 ·
I don't think she is stressing about anything except probably us taking pictures. My tank I think FINALLY cycled through b/c she was in pretty high ammonia for a while. She was actually chasing my finger while my hubby was taking the pictures. She wouldn't hold still b/c she is so excited when I'm by her! So I had to distract her lol. I know her very well and don't think she is stressed out. She's a lot smaller than the pictures looks too. She still looks so tiny to me.

#7 ·
Does it make a difference that Junior is a baby still?

I have read other places on the net that babies have stripes as a sort of camouflage. She is definitely not an adult yet. I hope she is okay =(

She seems happy and hyper all the time. No OTHER signs of stress. Maybe I should feed her more since shes a baby? I feed her 4 pellets once a day and a smashed pea once a week. Is this not enough for her growing body?

#8 ·
She seems perfectly healthy to me. The horizontal bars of color that are on her in the picture are a sign of stress, however if she does not show this while she is around you it was probably just the camera. Baby bettas don't have a sort of camouflage when they are young like other species. The amount of food seems fine. You could always mix it up with frozen/freeze-dried foods too. Personally I would stop feeding her a pea since it doesn't help them any. They are carnivores and I have read that peas actually stop up their digestive system. Other than that keep up the good work. She looks great! ;)

#10 ·
Those bars are also normal on very young bettas.. she looks to be still coloring up so I wouldn't say those bars are due to stress just yet, as it very easily could just be from being a juvenile.

As for coloring.. most likely blue with red wash, the body color will still come in as she gets older. It took my blue female a while until she actually colored up fully on her body, I believe she was about 6-8 months old before the blue showed up strong.

Hard to tell from the angle, but I am going to make a guess it's a VT female.. I'm about 80% sure, but can still be a male. Some males don't grow their fins long until 3+ months of age.. they continue to grow until 7mo of age.

Either way, going to be a pretty one!

#11 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone! I started stressing out lastnight thinking that my baby was stressing out. It's probably b/c she is so small still. She acts like a puppy when I'm around, she will wiggle like crazy when I play with her and talk to her. I take my pipette and she chases it and I blow bubbles with it and she loves it. She seems happy to me.

And I know when she's NOT happy. I once tried transferring her into a 20 gallon by herself but the filter was way too strong and there wasn't enough plants and hiding spots. (I did this b/c the ammonia in the little tank was really high and the 20 gallon was already cycled) I could tell instantly she hated it. I felt so bad and thought she was going to die b/c I stressed her out so badly. I put her BACK in the small one and she instantly colored up again and was swimming around like normal.

#12 ·
Yeah I've had the same problem before. :/ I bought a 5 gallon tank this summer and wanted to put my favorite boy in it, who is currently in a 2.5 gallon. The second I did he stressed out completely! I thought I was going to loose him so I put him back in his 2.5 gallon tank and he has been fine since. I've noticed that some of them actually like smaller tanks while others could careless.

#13 ·
Aww.. sorry you were stressed out :( But I wouldn't worry about it.. being active, eating healthy, responsive to you.. don't see a sign of a stressed out fish.

Just going by your description of age and such, pretty much tells you she is just a youngin' :) Or he... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.