Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #11 
Animal Lover37

Oh ok that helps a lot. The thing is when they were in thwir individual nests they built a nice nest but the moment I put them in the big tank they didnt want to build. But from now on I will watch their body language more thanks so much! !
Animal Lover37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #12 
Bettacrab

How were the bettas conditioned? Try turning off the filter. I use a cut grocery bag for bubble nests my male didn't make the nest until after they spawned. He is actually still making it. Give them time. Took mine a day and a night to spawn.
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #13 
Animal Lover37

Ya I learned that betta spawning is all about patience lol and I condition them with high protein pellets little bit twice a day and then when im off from work and watching my fishies like a creeper I might give them some freeze dried bloodworms as treats. I also put little peices of almond leaves to help calm them and for the males it gives them a place to practice building their nests (if they decide to use it).

What did you mean by you used a grocerybag for him to make his nest?

My red ct has a bubble nest and they are flirt swimming so well see how this goes :)
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #14 
hrutan

You should see if you can get some frozen food. It's more exciting for the fish, and safer to "stuff" them. Both the male and the female will really need to have their strength to get through the process, the female to recover, and the male so he can keep up with the eggs and babies without needing to eat.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #15 
Animal Lover37

How about microworms? I have two cultures going for thr fry when and if I get them but cab I feed them to my adults too?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #16 
kevinap2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Lover37 View Post
How about microworms? I have two cultures going for thr fry when and if I get them but cab I feed them to my adults too?
It'd take a lot of microworms to fill up adult bettas. They also will foul water if they fall into the gravel and don't get sucked up. Personally, I wouldn't.

Freeze dried stuff isn't that good. The freeze drying process takes a lot of the nutrients out of the food. I second the frozen sentiment. A little more work but well worth it. Most of my fish won't even touch the freeze dried stuff now that I feed them a diet of pellets and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp.

I think hrutan means that if you float a plastic bag of some sort, it will be easier for your male to make a bubble nest as the bubbles will have something to stick to after he blows them. You could also use a Ziploc bag or shrink wrap.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #17 
hrutan

Hmm? Oh, I think you're referring to Bettacrab's post.

The most popular "anchor" for a bubble nest appears to be a half of a styrofoam cup, with the open part facing down. But the tool I've seen recommended that seems the most exciting to a betta would be bubble wrap, cut into a 3 x 3 square, floated with the bubbles down in the water. Apparently it looks much like a bubble nest to a betta male. The person that recommended this said that her bettas guarded the bubble wrap just like a real nest, and blew tons of bubbles to build it up. Hilarious!
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #18 
Animal Lover37

Well ill definitely keep that bubble wrap in mind (if I can keep myself from playing with it lol) and as far as the foam cup it has worked so far and hes building under it quite nicely :)

Ill have to make a trip to the petstore then and pick up a few frozen goodies