Betta Fish Forum banner

Heater Recommendations

994 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Arzela 
#1 ·
Gah, I had all of this typed up and then Firefox crashed. Grrr.

Anyway, I've been lurking this forum for a month or so now, and I'm finally getting around to posting due to some problems I've had with heaters. I'm currently on my third heater for my 3-gallon.

I've tried two 2-10 gallon heaters from tetra. The first didn't work at all. The little LED that's supposed to be red/green when the heater is functioning wouldn't even turn on. The second seems to think that 71 degrees is 78....

I've also tried the marineland 10w mini-heater, since I've had really good experiences with marineland. (a week after I bought my 6 gallon eclipse, the lighting hood died. They got me a new one within a couple of days, plus I have one of their visi-therm heaters in the same tank) The heater worked....too well. Came home from class the day after I bought it and found my 3-gallon at 96 degrees! Needless to say, I returned the heater.

So here I am today. :( Does anyone recommend any types of heaters? Preferably adjustable, but if not, that's okay. I just don't want poor Zephyr getting cold. I'm a bit iffy with ordering online, since returning items is a bit more tricky, but at this point I think I'm going to have to as I can't find any different types of heaters at my LFS's.

Sorry for the wall of text. ^_^;

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know if you have it in the states but I have an Interpet 25watt heater and its incredible, well maybe incredible is a bit OTT but it does what a heaters supposed to do =) Its adjustable and has a built in thermometer so you can pre-set the temp and then wait for it to warm up. Its great lol.

#3 ·
Hm. From a quick google search, it looks like it's only in the UK, but I guess if I don't find anything over here, I could look into importing one or something, heh.

#5 ·
I've been looking into one of those mini hydor heaters...but I'm a bit worried about temperature fluctuations. My room can go from very cold to very hot because of my computer setup. =/

#7 ·
I've tried a few.

the Hydor minis will fluctuate a lot of your room fluctuates a lot, it's only designed to raise the water so many degrees above the base of the room. It's great for a temporary solution but I don't use one on a regular bases. If you have a stable room temp then it's great. Most people don't.

If you want to spend the money, Marineland Visi-Therm 25 watt is perfect for a 3 gallon. (Old style and new style both work well) It has a temp gauge that'll hold a temp without fluctuation, is easy to read and doesn't take up much space... But it costs between 25-30 bucks, depending on if you buy it online or in a store. I would get one of these if I have the money to spend. (sadly I fried mine :( )

I've bought 2 cheap heaters lately.. one didn't even work when I got it, but the other is running strong;

The Slim Tech 25 Watt Heater. This one works really good. It doesn't have the temp gauge at the side like the Marineland, but just a little tweeking and it's staying at 80 degrees, despite the temp fluctuation in my house. It has an indicator light so you know when it's running, but other then that, it's really very simple. The best part.. it's only about 15 bucks, shipping and everything, if you get it online.

Aside from those, I really don't know, they're the only one's I've had personal experience with. Good luck!

#8 ·
I wouldn't bother with the hydor heater at all. I live in the UK, its summertime and the tank just hits 60 without the heater when I used the heater it reached 61 -62 so unless you live in a really warm part of the world then don't get it, its a complete waste of money IMO.

Sorry I just had to have a little rant about that crappy heater lmao. Obviously I wont be doing the rant when I try to get rid of the heater lol.

So I amazoned some 25w heaters for you, they all seem to have good reviews, maybe you could check some out

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=25w+aquarium+heater

#9 ·
Thanks for all the help! I'm probably going to order one off Amazon within the next day or two. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.