Betta Fish Forum banner

My New Rescue

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  zombiegirl 
#1 ·
Meet Pirate. My daughter named him :lol: We rescued him from Petco. Already he looks so much brighter than the day we brought him home. He was clamped with some fin damage and a couple of white spots, but he's doing much better now.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice. You can see the fin-clamp and it looks as if the top fin has fin rot. Good on you for rescuing. Do you have AQ Salt? If you do, I would treat him with at least a spoon-ful every other day. But depends on how big his tank is. If all else fails, nothing a little TLC can't handle ;)

#4 ·
I think for now, clean water is best :) AQ salt (proper dosage: 1-3 teaspoons per gallon or one tablespoon per 5 gallons dissolved before adding) is more for severe rot, which I think he is alright, the rot isn't that bad =D

#6 ·
I am glad to see him better!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I started him on AQ salt treatments (1 tsp per gallon) the day we brought him home because I noticed a couple of whitish patches on his scales and he was rubbing against his treasure chest. The patches are gone and he's stopped rubbing so after a good tank scrub, we've switched to clean water changes every other day and high protein until his fins heal.

The rot is a maybe, but if that's the case it's mild. He does have a split fin which you can see in the first picture. It was really ragged the first day. It's already showing signs of improvement. With a bit of TLC, he'll heal.

#9 ·
He's a pretty MG! Hope he heals up soon :)

#13 ·
Good idea. I love rescues.:angel:

#19 ·
It ended up being ich. He developed the telltale white spots. I took out all the substrate and ornaments in his tank and I've been treating him. He's doing better today. No darting and he made another bubble nest. I'm going to keep him on the AQ for a full seven days. I do not want this coming back again.

And just to be safe, I'm replacing all the substrate and silk plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.