Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets/bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twicw a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:10
pH: 7.2
Hardness: GH 250/ KH 180
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks the same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not swimming much laying on side on gravel or in cave
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Have been fasting him now for 2 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 1/2

Over the last few days Blaze hasnt been himself he seems to be having some difficulty swimming, he mostly spends his time now laying in his cave or on the gravel he swims up to me when i approach his tank. Yesterday he had some white poop hanging out but by the evening hed passed it. Thought it may be something to do with his swimbladder caused by constipation perhaps and so have been fasting him today is the second day, have been doing extra water changes and have lowered the water level. His appearance is normal and he dosnt appear to be bloated any advice much appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
White poop can be a sign of internal parasites.
I would use 1-2 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon of water. Make sure the ES doesn't have any scents/surfractants on the ingredients list.
Do the ES treatment for at most 10 days, and do daily 100% water changes. Make sure you mix the Epsom salt with water before putting him in, so it completely dissolves.

It might be easier if you could put him in a smaller hospital tank or remove his gravel so it will be easier to do water changes and with a bare bottom tank it will be easier to see his poo and see if it improves.

#3 ·
Oh parasites dosn't sound very pleasant do you think its definatly that?
I have Tonic Salts for Aquariums which i bought a while back i havnt used it before, will that be ok? he does want to eat but should i continue to fast him?

Thanx :)

#4 ·
I can't say for sure but it sounds like it might be. If that's the only sign, then it means you caught it early and it's treatable.
I don't know what tonic salt is or what it's used for so I can't say if you should use it. Epsom salt is good for treating internal issues, you can find it at a drug store or at Walmart in the foot care section.
If he doesn't look bloated I would feed him. You can also feed him frozen daphnia, wether hes bloated or not,it works as a natural laxative and it's good for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.