Betta Fish Forum banner

lost

829 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Flashygrrl 
#1 ·
i recently bought 2 bettas and one seems to be a little lifeless, not as he usually is.he is even swimming sideways and sought of lying down. when he sees the other fish he gets a little more active but not as he usually is.ohh an i had no idea that they need a heater and plant..what can i do until i can get these things?

#2 ·
OK, let's start at the top.

Tank size:
Water parameters (use an API liquid test kit, please!!!):
Are the two Betta's housed together (a situation that you need to change, asap btw):

You're right about the heater, but you also need a filter and a good sized tank for each (at LEAST 2.5 gallon each or a 5-10 gallon divided). Odds are your ammonia is through the roof because of cycling, and if you have a tank without a filter it's even worse. Do a partial water change immediately and don't forget the water conditioner.

Hope this can be helpful.

#3 ·
tanks for the info..had no idea so much had to be done in taking care of these fishes, the store in which i bought them even told me that there is no need for a filter and wat is cycling?and water conditioner?..sorry im so lost:-( but i change the water every 4-5 days, the two bettas are not together but we sometimes put the 2 tanks close so they can see each other(is this bad?)is it a good idea to change their meal ever so often?

#4 ·
It's ok...I know you're learning so we're here to help the best we can.

Rule number one: Unless you have a reason to trust what your LFS is saying, don't.

As for cycling: It can be looked up under Starting and Maintaining in the Freshwater Information sticky. There's a LOT of good stuff in there that you should go through and read actually.

Water conditioner should be used with tap water, it takes all the toxic chlorine and chloramines out of the water and allows for the cycling to happen. Always use it with tap water, and if you are rinsing something that comes out of the tank that's going back into the tank never ever use untreated tap water.

Food can be varied, don't even bother with flakes, pellets can be fed as well as thawed bloodworms and other stuff.

Last but not least: tank size. You didn't mention that part so I'll assume it's probably those small tanks the pet stores somehow manage to sell to everyone. Reconsider that asap.

I really hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.