Betta Fish Forum banner

new fish - - - tank mates/plants in a smaller environment

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Meatpuppet 
#1 ·
I just bought a male betta, light silver with red-type fins. He appears to be smaller than any other I have had with less luxurious fins (full but short). . . perhaps he's still young-ish?

Anywho, he's currently in a 1/2 gallon bowl with a single silk plant. However, the plant is really just too big for the bowl. I was wondering if getting a plant such as java moss or fern would be beneficial for his small bowl? I obviously understand that they need their own space and overcrowding should be avioded. Would adding a small amount of say the moss be putting too much into the small space?

On a related topic as well, would a small snail of some type be beneficial at all (most specifically for cleaning bits of food)? Or would that be pushing it for the smaller bowl size?

#2 ·
Some sort of cover is usually a good idea. Plants can work well. A small amount of java moss or java fern would work.

I would strongly urge you to upgrade to at least a 2.5 gallon aquarium. Though they can survive in cramped quarters, bettas really need a decent amount of swimming space in order to thrive.

#3 ·
yes i agree with said info. and i would assume you wouldnt have a heater in the half gallon. bettas are used to 78 degree water and need it to thrive. so i also recomend upgrading to a Heated 2.5 gallon

as for the snail, im afraid your tank is too small for anything else. the snail will also produce alot of waste that will send your parameters out of whack

#4 ·
I would say upgrade the tank, I got my betta from Petsmart and kept it in the 1/2 gallon bowl they suggested and he was miserable - bad color, no activity, etc. Switched to a five gallon heated, filtered tank and now he's the happiest fishy I've ever seen...fantastic color and is very interactive with us.

The cost isn't terrible, my tank was $30, heater was $18, and filter with air pump and tubing was $15....I'm in grad school and my hubby is a firefighter so we're on a limited budget and we could still swing it.

#5 ·
Makes sense. Thanks for the info. You basically confirmed what I was already thinking.

On a completely unrelated note, I was wondering what anyone's opinion was on feeding flakes instead of pellets? I have some flakes that I've been feeding the little guy (along with freeze dried bloodworms) for the last few days I've had him. He also got a bit of a pea today as he may be starting to be constipated. (No sign of poop yet. :wink: ) I will sit down tonight and make myself create an actual week-long feeding plan for him, I just haven't had time yet.

Anywho, he seems to like the flakes as long as they're broken down to a smaller size. I believe the brand is NutraFin Betta Food. And he's absolutely gaga for the blood worms, which he does not get as often. Any opinions? (Or if you have a feeding "schedule" you'd like to share, I would also appreciate it!)

#7 ·
i would leave it for the betta to decide, pellets or flakes as their staple. my betta wouldnt touch flakes when i first got him but now he wont eat anything else. also froz. bloodworms/brineshrimp.

when i feed my fish i just dump a small pinch of flakes in the tank and whatch him eat. i do this once daily for 5ish days of the week then two other days i will defrost a little bit of a cube of froz. worms or shrimp in a bowl of water then feed it to him through a turkey baster. its funny bucz when i shoot them in there with the baster, they fly around like they're alive and the betta has to chase it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.