Betta Fish Forum banner

Feed egg yolk on friday...but I dont know if the fry ate any..

3K views 76 replies 4 participants last post by  crowntail lover 
#1 ·
I feed my baby fry (which hatched on thurs.) egg yolk but I dont know if they have eaten any...The male is in there because I am afraid they will die without him. He is being a good dad by picking them up and blowing them into nest. I will take him out, but I need to know what to feed them so they wont starve. They are to small for microworms....and I dont know where to find bbs.
Please help..

#3 ·
If they're not free swimming, dont feed them, they have to be able to get to the food.

bbs eggs can be found at your lfs

fry can eat microworms starting at day 3.

#7 ·
I dont know what you could do, infurosia would wor but it would take too long to make, does your tank have live plants in it because that should make enough for them to survive until microworms or other. I dont know if it would work but maybe if you bought some live plants and poured some of thier water in there it would have infurosia on it to feed them. If some of them are eating I guess its ok, I mean it is survival of the fittest isnt it?

As for cleaning I heard to take air-pump tubing and use it as a siphon to get it out, thats is if the fry are big enough to see so you dont suck them out.

#8 ·
I have live plants...They are producing snails so I am sure they are producing infurosia....
Nepolean is now picking them up and blowing them into the nest. They are all moving well when he does this. Oh my mother is going to get a filter right now to help purify and clean the water to help them out a bit.......I am just a little worried...Okay very worried. I dont want to mess anything up...

#11 ·
Lul, did your mom pick out the too big filter, I know if I sent my mom she would come back with like a filter cartridge or something. I have to go get what I want myself or I dont get it :roll:

The live plants should provide enough for them to eat for a little while.

As for bbs, check your local pet stores and see if they have any eggs you could hatch them yourself, if they dont you might have to get some adult brine shrimp and try to breed them, I dont know how hard that is though.

#15 ·
My book says that the dust at the bottom of packages of dried food and commercial liquified fry preparations can be used. You have got to find something to feed those babies if they won't eat the egg yolk. Make sure its smashed up small enough for them to eat it and mix it with water, then drop it into the tank with an eyedropper.

#18 ·
To clean the tank, use an airline tubing attached to an airstone to avoid sucking up fry, I've converted from infusoria to microworms and bbs, they're easier to make.

hope this helps!

#21 ·
Fry need to be fed twice a day,

water needs to be changed every day

you need to have live food cultures purchased and running before breeding.

#26 ·
All my infusoria cultures died. I think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.