Betta Fish Forum banner

I've had my Betta for about a month, how am I doing?

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
I got my first Betta, Biscotti, just over a month ago, knowing nothing about Betta.

I found him in a local pet shop that was going out of business, in a cup with about an inch of water in it, and filthy on the bottom. Like the other Betta there, he was teeny tiny, and his fins were all closed up because there wasn't enough room to open them. He was a dark blue color. I thought I had killed him on the way home, as it was cold outside, and it was a long trek home. Halfway there, he sank and stopped moving, much to my dismay. I put him in my pocket, and by the time I got home he was doing better

He is being housed in a filtered 5 gallon tank, with 3 soft plastic plants, one he likes to hide in or "perch" on. I change the water at least 20% every week, leaving the new water to condition and adjust in temperature before changing the old stuff out and replacing it, to avoid shock. My biggest issue with tank setup is my lack of a heater, so I keep the room extra warm to make up for it until I can get to the city and buy a nice one. I also think the filter may be a little strong for him... I may shut it off a few days and see how he responds so I know if i should get a gentler one.

I very rarely see him on the bottom half of the tank, unless he is hiding or checking something out ( like when I put something new on his counter).

He is extremely responsive, and will follow you as you walk by, or follow your finger. He responds very well to sound and LOOOOOVES his feeding times. I feed him 3 betta pellets in the morning and 2 at night. He swims to the top and I feed him one at a time and wait until he swallows it before giving him the next, otherwise I get to worried about him not finding them ( because he has lost some under his plant leaves before). I always speak to him when I feed him, so he has become extremely responsive when I change pitch in my voice. It is so cute.

He flares often if his tank ends up brighter than the room, because he sees his reflection, and he circles the tank, up and down. His fins are unbroken, and flare open beautifully. He has grown to just under twice his size since I got him, and his color has become more vivid; the solid dark blue has since become purple and shot through with red. His back is an aqua green.

I hope I have been doing a good job caring for him....

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, you just seem to be doing about everything right! Good job. BTW, if the filter is too strong there is a thread on here about how to baffle it (makes the out take weaker). I would post the link to it but I am on my Husband's WII right now and am not that good with using it. :)

#6 ·
The pictures will be coming, Today is tank cleaning day, and I did a 50% and I will be replacing a broken plant (It was his favorite hiding plant too, but a stem broke off and the edge is too sharp). While I was cleaning, one of the plants came up and is floating and I was quite surprised to find him playing with it!

I did have a cleaning accident however, so I hope he'll be okay... I normally use a measuring cup and a turkey baster for changing out the water, ( I take some off of the top to clear away hairs, but I try to take most off the bottom) But the measuring cup I normally use was put away dirty...with cooking oil in it!!!!

So I tried my best to get all of the oil out of the water, I hope any residue left in there won't be too harmful for my poor baby. The rest of the cleaning went well. I used my scrubber on the inside of the tank for the first time, and he kept coming over to investigate.

This morning when I was feeding him he jumped for the first time, and took a chomp on my finger. It was more like a kiss, but I guess he was excited to eat, lol.

#8 ·
Fortunately his tank had a lid, and it is only open for feeding time. I'll keep an eye on this habit, and see what happens. It was his first time doing it, and he hasn't done it since...

#10 ·
If you've had him in for a month with no 100% water changes, your tank is either cycled or near to cycled. If you turn off the filter for longer then 6 hours at a time, you can kill off all the beneficial bacteria and your cycle would have to start all over again. I'd baffle it if it were me. All my 5 gallons have filters with sponges wedged into the outflow to slow it down. You can find a floating bunch of silk ivy and put that under the filter too. He might enjoy it. :) Would also love to see pics.

#11 ·
I had my filter off while I changed the water because I took so much out and he went to investigate and got hit with the waterfall LOL. I put the new plant under it and it makes a huge difference.

#12 ·
I guess I wasn't doing as good as I thought. I got a thermometer and my aquarium tested only 69 degrees. coooooold. I grabbed a heater, and I'm certain I'm going to have a very VERY happy Betta in the next few hours. Oh, I am taking some pics now too!

I also did a ammonia test, the first one i have ever done, and I tested 0 after a 50% cleaning, YAY!

#15 ·
You did pretty good for your first betta fish. Most people don't know how it's not so easy to take care of a betta fish and they put them in a small bowl and rarely change the water. (I was one of those people[only with my first fish] i have picasso in a 3 gal and bubbles in a 2 and a half.) but great job taking care of them.

#18 ·
The temperature raising went great! It has made it up to 78 finally, and Biscotti is doing extremely well! he's all over the tank, exploring the new setup and enjoying himself quite a bunch!

I stuck my hand into the tank to fix a plant and he attacked it; Rammed it and started to nibble a bit, it surprised me and I twitched so he took off, but he sure is a plucky little guy!

#19 ·
Haha! I love when they act all goofy like that. I put a thermometer in Cheep-Cheep's tank and he sat there looking at it for half an hour, with his nose resting against the pointy end. Weirdo.

#20 ·
You are doing a wonderful job, and he sounds like a funny, perky little betta! I love you tank and your betta. :D He is soooo pretty! My veiltail has been changing colors like nuts since I got him! First he was kind of purple/blue, now he is a purple/sky blue depending on the light with streaks of pink. He is so pretty! I love you setup, good luck with Biscotti.

#21 ·
You're doing a good job! Your betta looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.