Betta Fish Forum banner

i need some advice for my betta's tankmates!

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  hissien 
#1 · (Edited)
I think this may need to go on the emergency thread.... But anyway I have a twenty gallon with platies and a male betta (3 females and 1 male platy). One of my females is really aggressive (gave birth earlier today) I got them all yesterday and she has stated nipping my betta, I was wondering if she needed more protein and that was why she attacked him(she even nips other platies). I don't want to take her back because she will be killed by the store, is there any alternatives besides removing any fish?

#2 ·
Not really. Protien problably has nothing to do with it.

Can you get her her own little tank? For the sake of the others! I bet the males all teamed up and are like 'That woman is CRAZY!' Lol. While she sits in a corner and growls.

#3 ·
Well I suppose I could but I would hate to keep a social fish alone... And lol I only have one male and 3 females.

She seems a little calmer now but I will keep watching her. Any tips? I thought they were peaceful, my friend keeps a betta sorority with her platies

#4 ·
They usually are. But shes special! I seriously doubt she would be sad all alone seeing it is that she attacks others. She might be happier.

#6 ·
That might work. If she is territorial. If she keeps attacking though, I would get her her own tank by herself. No tank mates except maybe a snail.

#8 ·
Not a life at all. Can you like put her in a breeder net and then go out to the store to get a tank?

Plus the bucket might be dirty... I wouldn't trust it.

#10 ·
Yeah, generally no more than 30$. (And i'm 13, so...)

You could look an Craigslist. Some people sell for free.

#12 ·
You can put her in the bucket if you must. Just keep it heated and put some decorations to make it feel homey. I wouldn't put her in the breeder net seeing how she's still in the 20 gallon, she'll establish her territory.

What you must do is leave her in her own tank/bucket for 2 days, after that change the decorations in the tank, move things around. After one day or so, the fish in the tank will establish their territories. After that add your girl back in, see if she's her nipping mood, if that doesn't work she'll have to live alone, sorry. :/

Tanks come fairly cheap to be honest, what I've noticed is that the bigger the tank the cheaper it is in general. My 2 gallon Fluval Spec was more expensive than my 10 gallon. So consider buying a bigger tank, look around in all of your LPS and LFS. I found my 10 gallon for $37 at PetSmart which is pretty far away. . . So yeah try to think big!

If not, you can always buy those Kritter Keepers, they're pretty good homes if you buy the large sized ones. They're pretty sturdy too, and aren't too costly.

#14 ·
Its actually a black breeder box that I made myself.(Painted with nontoxic paint and coated with epoxy) the female can't easily see out of it with holes just to allow water flow and fry holes. I made it this way so they wouldn't see the whole tank stressing them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.