Betta Fish Forum banner

switching tanks?

1K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Bettanewbie60 
#1 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to move Bella into Bali's 5.5g, and him into the 2.5. He is constantly "panic swimming" and his fins are getting ripped up. I know he doesn't have any fin rot, so it's either biting or just the way he whips around that tank. I think the female would be better with the extra swimming room too. Is it okay to just move them to each other's tanks? I just did a 100% change on the 5.5 last night, and can do the 2.5 before the switch. Any advice?

#3 ·
Thanks! Yeah, the 5.5 is filtered and I did a 100% on it last night...the 2.5 is next for 100%, not filtered. I just finished my other 5g 100% lol...I am getting some nicely developed biceps lol!:)

#5 ·
I don't normally do 100% on my filtered, but I just added the filter two days ago, and there were just way too many DOCs floating around..it was really cloudy. I didn't want to take a chance on the water quality cause I don't have a full test kit yet. It sucks, but I got too paranoid when it really clouded up and I can't test it to see why.

#7 ·
Thanks again DragonFish..I would love to just fill the 5.5 with more plants/decor right now..but, can't afford it. He has a cave and like 3 plants, but I'm still thinking the smaller digs might make him less stressed. I hope the female enjoys the bigger digs...I really need more stuff lol!

#8 ·
Lol, I know what you mean....its always one thing after another. Just a couple more plants, a new cave, some new food.....maybe change out the substrate, or perhaps give live plants a go....
Then before you know it you stumble upon another fish that gives you the fishy-puppy eyes and you just can't resist, and so its a new tank and all new fixin's for it....
.....Or maybe thats just me and my horrible habits xD; Lol

Oh, I bet she will! I miss my females, they were always so...zippy xD

#9 ·
Lmbo...I juts got back from Petsmart..when hubby heard I was going there he got that panicked look on his face, "What for"?..I said, "I need decorations for Bali and Bella, besides, I don't have tank for another one"..."Oh wait, I DO have that 1g that is empty"! LOL...he didn't find it funny..and as for the "fishy-puppy" eyes..there was this amazing double tail half moon!!! I soooo want him..but, alas, I refrained. I did spend $28 dollars on plants and decor though! Yiiikes...I still need to buy 2 more 2.5g tanks for Bandit and Beau...I guess next week. LOL..I can see the divorce papers now..under "reason for divorce"..."betta fish addiction" :lol:

#11 ·
Yeah, I just posted somewhere else that hubby was with me at Pet Supplies Plus today when the lady told me, "Our new shipment comes in on Wednesday"...hubby looked like he wanted to kill her lol.

#15 ·
I think some people just don't want to admit that they really like FISH! Like it's a four letter word ha ha ha, okay, I'm tired lol. I got Bella into the 5.5 and she is swimming casually after a couple minutes of panic...she is now acting like a typical female with a huge new apartment lol...Bali is in the 2.5, and is flaring like a mad man...I will have to cover the back of his tank as it sits up against my dresser mirror. It never bothered Bella when she was in it, but she's not a guy I guess. I hope they both settle in okay. Now, I'm wanting to switch out some of the decorations in them...put Bali's cave in with him, and Bellas bridge and new ornament in with her. I can spend hours just moving things around! Pure, happy obsession!:shock:

#17 ·
Yup...I spent like two hours between the two tanks...I first had Bali set up with the new decor...and it looked awesome. Then I thought, well he might want his usual cave..so, I switched the new decor out, gave him his cave, put the new decor in the 5.5 with Bella...nope, didn't like the look, so I switched it all back. Even with all this "disruption", both Bella and Bali are doing really well this morning! Bali seems much calmer, and Bella is like a queen in her huge new tank lol...it's so good when I know they are happy fish!

#19 ·
It may just take some time for him to adjust to the new surroundings. Some bettas are not bothered by reflections, and some take longer or just get too stressed. Give him a couple days to adjust, if he seems too stressed by it all try and change the wallpaper or remove it. I ended up using the top off one of my shoe boxes to stick up against the back of Bali's tank. He still kept patrolling the back, looking for the "other fish" lol...this morning he was calm as anything. I removed the shoe box lid..and right away he was flaring and patrolling. It isn't bad for them to do this for short periods of time..it's a natural thing in the wild, but you don't want them stressing constantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.