Betta Fish Forum banner

How do i safely move my fish from a three gallon to the new five gallon tank when I g

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mommabear1 
#1 ·
I have a betta, glofish tetra, glofish danos, cory cat, and neon tetra. I am planning on getting a five gallon and need to know what i need to do to safely move them to the larger tank.

i plan on moving my slate rocks, and fake plants to the new tank.

#2 ·
First of all, too many fish for a 5 gallon! tetras, danios AND cories are all schooling fish and do best in groups of 4+.

Typically, to upgrade the tank you would gradually over a few days/weeks move stuff from the established tank to the new tank and run the same filter media through the new filter (to keep the BB alive) and then acclimate all the fish slowly like you did when you bought them/and at every water change when you remove them (if you do)

#4 ·
I agree with Laki. With your stocking list, you should really be looking at a tank that is 15-20 gallons, not 5 gallons.

Most fish will survive in less than ideal conditions. It's why bettas and goldfish are so cruelly treated in this hobby. However, surviving is a long way from thriving and it is poor husbandry to keep active schooling fish such as danios and tetras in tanks that cannot accommodate their needs. Particularly if you also aren't keeping them in appropriate schooling numbers (usually six).

As to the question in your OP, Laki has basically covered that. It's particularly important that you monitor your water parameters after any tank move. Is your current tank cycled? If not, you are going to have to do a fish-in cycle and this requires at least a month of rigorous water testing and water changes to ensure the well-being of your fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.