Betta Fish Forum banner

Found driftwood.

903 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  aemaki09 
#1 ·
So I need to get some driftwood ASAP, I have plants coming in tomorrow that I need to tie to some. BUT problem is, last week I had won an auction on aquabid for a piece and the seller never got back to me. I cant just sit around for another week and wait hoping he'll reply to my many messages.
Anyways, since that fell through, and I havent noticed any driftwood in my local stores, or atleast pieces that are a decent price. So I plan to go to the creek that runs close to my house to find a piece tomorrow.
So, how would I go about preparing it? I know you are supposed to boil, but I live with my parents at the moment and I know that they wont let me boil wood on their stove, and also, it'll probably be too big to boil, any other options that will get it ready fairly fast?

#2 ·
I think boiling is the only quick way to do it unfortunately. If you soaked it in a bleach solution you would still need to let it soak in pure water for a few days for the bleach to get out, then leave it in direct sunlight for 24 hours just to make sure.

I suppose you could always build yourself a campfire and boil it outside?

#3 ·
I just went to Petsmart and found the kind they have for turtles, would that be okay after I sand it down?

#4 ·
Yes that would work, just spray it down with some vinegar water and rinse it off. Then put it in non-dechlorinated water for a couple of hours and then add it to your tank. It could release a lot of tannins depending on what kind of wood it is if you don't pre-soak it for 2 weeks so be prepared for that.

#6 ·
Yeah I can do that. They are just clean freaks and anything that doesn't belong in a humans mouth shouldn't be in the kitchen haha, but yeah, I could put it into a bucket or something outside.

I feel like a little kid having to ask my parents permission to do things. I moved out for 5 years and last year had to move home because of a divorce, it sucks to have all that freedom only to get treated like a child again

#10 ·
be careful with that boiling water. i had to do this process over a couple days. remember to completely cool the wood before attempting to put it in the tank. you may still leach tannins for quite some time. these can be filtered out using purigen. i like the tannic water as it softens the harshness of my led lights. mopani has alot of tannic acid in it. on the other hand, some driftwood hardly tints the water.

#11 ·
I think this is called grape wood. It won't fit in my 5 gallon bucket all at once, I think the piece is about 20" inches long and about 12" wide. Im gonna have to get a bigger container

#12 ·
grapewood is hard to sink you may need to anchor it. it also has to cure in your tank and will probably get white mold. it won't hurt anything ,buy will be unsightly.you can scrub it off under hot water.if you attach plants to it you may just let it run its course.it will eventually go away. some people have said it will rot. others have it for years no problem.

#13 ·
Thanks! I'm so glad there are so many knowledgeable people of so many different things on this site!
It's cheap enough that if it rots then I'll just get a new one, but hopefully it won't be a problem.

#17 ·
Good idea I'll check it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.