Betta Fish Forum banner

Tail Damag or Tail Rot?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chell 
#1 ·
After 6 weeks cycling my tank I brought home my a lovely, healthy half-moon tail boy on Sun, Nov. 8th.

I did a 20% water change on Mon. 11/9 adding 1 tsp of aquarium salt to the 5 gal tank. After two days 11/10 a single tear showed up on the top half of his tail. At that point I removed a piece of wood I had in the tank as I thought he might be catching on it, but the damage keeps popping up. I do have rocks in the tank, but everything else is soft, live plants.

New tears are appearing every morning (nothing has happened during the day). His colors are bright, his appetite is GREAT, and he is very active and curious. I'm really confused.

Could rot set in that quickly?

Could he be damaging the tail himself? And if it is self inflicted what option is there?

5 gal tank
Temp 80.5 F average
Ammonia and NO2 levels: 0
NO3: 15
pH 7.4

Thanks,
M. Wu

See less See more
#2 ·
This is happening to my delta tail male also, so I'm going to keep an eye on your thread..Hopefully we both get good responses. I tried giving him a salt bath, but the tear that I saw has gotten bigger. =(

#3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm hoping this is a common but easily remedied problem. How long has his tall issue been going on, and how long have you had him?

Did you just give him the one salt bath or did you keep it up for a few days?

I'm going to do another 20% PWC in my tank tonight and am thinking about trying the salt bath just to keep away infection. I'm not sure what else there is to do. ???

Best of luck,
M. Wu

#4 ·
Eep! I just noticed that my little guy has some minor tears in his anal fin, and it looks like there is a small piece missing. His fin was fine an hour and a half ago.
I have a 1 gal tank, and his tank is at 80 degrees F. His happy, swimming around and even continuing on this bubble nest.

I have a silk betta plant with plastic roots and they are kind of sticking up, but his been fine with that for two days now. His getting a water change tomorrow morning...

Does fin rot act that fast, or is my guy just eating himself? Why would he do that? Even if its not fin rot would salt be okay? I have epson salt, would that work?

#5 ·
I've had my betta for about 2-3 weeks, and the tears just recently showed up. I tried one salt bath 2 days ago, but it doesn't seem to be helping. The tear has gotten bigger and another one showed up in his anal fin, so I'm going to try another right now, also removing the plant in his tank just in case. Crossing my fingers for everyone's bettas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.