Betta Fish Forum banner
3K views 54 replies 7 participants last post by  ohhaiitslily 
#1 ·
I bought two bettas yesterday afternoon, (both are females). They seem to get along pretty well and they live in a one gallon tank. (I am unable to buy any tanks that are any bigger, right now.)
The temperature is fine, but I'm not sure about pH, nitrite, ammonia, etc (and I can't test that anytime soon either)
I haven't done any water changes yet.
So here is my problem- one of my fish is TOTALLY fine and swimming everywhere and eating and being happy. The other one spends most of its time at the bottom of the tank, not eating or anything. However, it reacts well to any stimulus (the net, the other fish, etc) but won't eat (I've only fed them about once, now, though). It usually only comes up to the top for some air. Should I just wait to see what happens with it? (Externally, it doesn't appear to look any differently than when I bought it.)

#3 ·
Unfortunately the tank is too small for both of them. Not only does it not allow them to escape each other toxins will build up faster with 2 fish in that small volume of water. She probably is getting bullied by the other Betta & it is possible she's not 100% healthy which won't help matters. Adding plants & caves will cut down on their swimming space but if you can't get a bigger tank (at least 10g for more females) or a second tank you should at least add hiding places. Ideally you'd separate them.

#4 ·
If I can't do that, would more water changes help?
There are plants and hiding places in it (which tends to be where she stays for the most part), but like I said, I can't get another tank (or a bigger one) and to separate them, all I can do is put one in the little container she came in, which seems like it would be worse.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree with Shellieca. A one gallon tank is too small for two fish.

1) Bettas are territorial, and putting two fish in that small tank will result in problems. (It doesn't matter what sex they are.) At best, the fish will be stressed. At worst, one fish could severely injure or even kill the other.

2) Waste products will build up to a toxic level very quickly.

Below are links to three articles/stickies for you to read. The first two are about housing fish together. The third explains about the need for frequent water changes:

Betta Compatibility With Each Other
Female Betta Sororities
Oldfishlady water change recommendations

Edited to add: Is the reason that you can't get another tank right now due to space limitations, or financial considerations? If you can tell us that, people may be able to give you some suggestions on various options for safely housing your two girls.

#6 ·
More water changes will only keep the water parameters safe it won't fix her being bullied. I'd take one of them back if you can't separate. You can use any kind of a container (Tupperware bowl, Rubbermaid storage bin) then you just need to keep it warm somehow.

#9 ·
Really bettas require 2 gallons a piece.. so you shouldn't divide anything smaller than 5. 1 gallon is okay temporarily but they can't live full lives in that either. They'll only live 2-3 years as opposed to their 5+ year potentail

If you can't afford to give them each their own space you need to take one back...

What is the temperature? It needs to be 78-80F so unless you keep your house at 80F+ they're too cold too.

#12 ·
Really, I know it sounds pretty bad, but I don't think I really need one for 5+ years, and I am not really sure if taking one back is an option either.
I can't get another because of financial, time, and space restraints.

#16 ·
Well if you're not in it for the long haul I'd return everything. We're giving you options/suggestions based on our experiences; the choice in the end is of course yours. If you are comfortable with them not being happy & healthy then by all means keep them as they are.

#17 ·
+1

If you only want them as decorations or just things you can let die then take them back and get cool fake fish or something. Living animals must be treated with respect. I mean would you get a cat and lock it in a bathroom and just let it die of starvation or illness because you don't want to care for it? It's the same with fish, you buy them and they become your responsibility. You need to give them everything they need even if it means you have to go without heat in your house.

#18 ·
Okay, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more like, I don't expect to have them live more than 5 years. I don't have the money or space to get an extra tank. I want to keep them alive as long as possible seeing as that's what makes me happy right now. I went back to the pet store 3 times yesterday since I didn't have everything they needed, and that was still almost too much.

#21 · (Edited)
What did you get during those three trips? The 'minimum' you need would be:

a) Tank (one tank per fish, unless you could get a large enough tank to put in a divider so they'd be able to share the tank).
b) Heater (one per tank)
c) Water conditioner
d) Pellet food

Things that you do NOT necessarily need include: gravel, a filter, an aerator, decorations. (We can tell you how to get or make inexpensive decorations and hiding places.)

Also, the smaller the tank, the more water changes you'll need to do.

But again, it's not safe to house two Bettas in a one gallon tank.....

#20 ·
Keeping fish isn't a cheap hobby, as said you can put the second girl in something like a larger Tupperware or even a pail so long as you can heat it it won't matter. Point is keeping them together in a 1 gallon then don't expect them to make it to even a year and likely suffer along the way from ammonia poisoning, stress, and possibly injure or kill one another. It's like keeping two pitbulls who were trained to fight in a closet. When one kills the other don't run screaming like you are shocked because of course that's what was going to happen.

#22 ·
I don't have any Tupperware or anything that's larger than a pint, basically. And I don't have any lids or anything that will work, and don't suggest that I not use a lid, because my cat would eat them instantly.

#23 ·
Sorry if I come across as rude or too blunt but it gets a little frustrating when someone asks a question, its answered & the person seems to not want to listen. The bottom line is you have options & it is your choice which way to go. Multiple females under the best of conditions are iffy, they can turn ugly at any moment. I have 12 females in a 46g with lots of plants & some structures & I still have females that stand off with each other, there is always at least one that has a nipped fin. So to have 2 in such a small space as yours is even trickier & will most likely result in one getting very bullied. Petsmart will take back the fish as much as it pains me to say return one at least she'd have a chance at a proper home.

#24 ·
I agree, it isn't fair to the fish to force them to live in a dangerous situation. Honestly at how they are living you might as well not have a lid for them to be cat food because you are playing with the same fate. I am shocked and appalled petsmart didn't explain this to you when you purchased this setup, my petco won't let you buy two females together unless you intend to keep them in separate tanks or understand how to build a proper sorority.

#25 ·
I got a tank, conditioner, food, a net, a couple decorations (to allow the fish to hide from each other only) gravel. I was told that filters should be avoided, and heaters are unnecessary. I was also told (at every single source I looked-- I searched thoroughly-- that two females could be housed together. I knew it would be difficult, plus with a 1 gallon container, frequent water changes were necessary, but I read tons of things about no males together or males with females but I checked everywhere and two females were alright. Again, a larger tank or another tank is absolutely not an option.

#29 ·
Personally, I would return the net, decorations and gravel. And then I would buy another 1 gallon tank and two heaters (one for each tank)....

If you can't do this, then as others have suggested, I'd recommend returning one fish. It's not safe to keep two Bettas in a 1 gal tank - they're just too territorial.

#26 · (Edited)
I have no idea what sources are telling you to put 2 females together in a 1 gallon bowl but I've never read such thing.. you are getting sound advice here. You do need a heater. They do need to be separated. They do need 2 gallons a piece, but 1 gallon is okay for a short time if you keep up on water changes. I could point you to dozen, if not hundreds which tell you this, but it's all at your finger tips too, but you have to be able to evaluate your source.. The internet has lots of contradicting and false information on it. Sorry to be blunt but there's no other way to say it.. if you leave them together in that one gallon bowl they will live shortened lives, be constantly exposed to ammonia and likely turn on each other one day.

The choice is yours. I hope you make one in the interest of the fish and not in your interest to be entertained by having two to look at.

#27 ·
Please don't be so harsh on me. I literally have NO TIME to go to the pet store for at least 3 more days ( no exceptions) petco didn't mention it, I even asked them if it was okay and they said it was fine. I checked EVERYWHERE and they all said two females was the only okay option.

#30 ·
Females can only be kept in groups of 4-5 in a 10+gallon, whoever told you 2 females in a 1 gallon was alright clearly needs to go back and finish high school because they had 0 common sense. Until you can pick up another tank even just keep the other girl in the cup you got her in to avoid deaths in the next three days.

If you don't do this TRUST ME you will have to spend a LOT more on medication to treat injuries and possibly one will die which either way means you wasted money so why waste money on having them die or spend more for medication?

#32 ·
The people who work at petco have next to no training and no knowledge on how to care for animals. High school kids with zero knowledge and experience in anything can work there, and their goal is to sell as much as they can. Unfortunately, they can and often do give bad advice.

No idea where "everywhere" is, but considering I've never seen your set up be suggested anywhere, and I've read hundreds upon hundreds of articles, websites and forums (as well as experience in the matter) I know you didn't check everywhere. Believe us or not.. when the fish are dead a few months or a year down the line you'll know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.