Betta Fish Forum banner

Fish sick or not

Fish might be sick...

2K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  Bresn 
#1 ·
My fish that's red is turning black(Might be black turing to red) is there anything wrong with him.

#2 ·
#3 ·
It sort of looks like fin rot. But not going to commit 100% to it.

Fill this out to help us help you:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

If it's fin rot then
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

Advanced Fin and Tail rot
•Symptoms: Fins and or tail start rotting away, usually starting from the edge, but sometimes it starts at the base of the fin (especially dorsal) and attacks the body directly. Diseases progresses rapidly as the tissues are being eaten away. Once fins have been consumed, rot will proceed onto the body. At this stage the disease is hard to reverse although the betta might continue to live for months if treated properly. If not treated, it will die promptly.
•Treatment: If the rot has advanced onto the body, skip conservative treatment. Do 100% daily water changes. Use a combination of Fungus Eliminator and Tetracycline. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. It may take up to 4 weeks to work, so don’t give up.

#4 ·
It's hard to say though. It could be his coloring, and bettas do change colors from time to time. He is missing some of his fins. Hope someone who knows more about rot comes to help.

#5 ·
It looks like fin rot to me =/ Put him in a quarantine container (just makes the water changes easier while he's ill) with dechlorinated water and add 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt. Another thing you might want to pick up is Stress Coat +, it's a special water conditoner that promotes fin regrowth. Keep him in there for ten days (no longer than this, as the salt can hurt his kidneys) and change the water everyday. Clean water is the best thing for treatment/prevention of finrot so make sure you keep up with your water changes. Good luck!!

#6 ·
Don't look like fin rot and the body is cover with black.

#7 ·
My tank's a big glass bowl,I feed my fish 3 Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellet every morning and night.

#8 ·
What I'm seeing on his anal and caudal fin does look like fin rot. The black, melty looking edges are a tell-tale sign. He also has a large hole in his anal fin, which will require aquarium salt and clean water to keep from getting infected. How often are you changing the water??

#9 ·
There no hole to me and I change the water about 3 time every week.

#10 ·
#11 ·
It not might not be sick at all the whole time,the fish's fin is geting black more.

#12 ·
If it's getting more black from the ends then that means the rot is spreading. The blue fish is not sick that I can tell.

#13 ·
I don't think it's sick I will show pic later.

#16 ·
#18 ·
#21 ·
Fin rot makes fins turn black. That's the main sympton of fin rot. If you do nothing his fins will shrivel away and fall off, and the rot will eventually spread to his body which will cause extreme pain and be nearly impossible to treat. He needs an aquarium salt treatment, 1 tsp per gallon, with water changes everyday along with Stresscoat + if you can get it.

#23 ·
He has a missing chunk off his lower fin. Please consider the advise that was properly given to you. 1 tsp AQ salt per 1 gal, daily 100% water changes for 10-14 days, stress coat will help fin regrowth. The body could naturally be that color, or it could of spread. Also, crowntail... not clown lol ;)
Spyro, my red CT had black edges such as that.. turned out to be finrot. Best to be cautious. You asked for opinions and help, which is what we are doing.
Spyro: You can see the black on his lower back fins.

Attachments

#25 ·
Don't use Betta fix it contains tea tree oil which can harm the labyrinth origin don't use Betta fix, melafix or anything with tea tree oil I have used Betta revive before and it did not affect the fish in any harmful way like Betta fix would

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.