Betta Fish Forum banner

Tank mates

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
How many cory cats and ghost shrimp should I get for my male betta in a 10 gallon?

#2 ·
I was told around 5 or 6

#4 ·
5-6 cories of the same species (e.g. all peppered, not one peppered, one panda, one bronze etc). Start off with 5 or so ghost shrimp, and if things are good after a month or so, you can add more. :)

I'd buy the cories in two sets of three and add them a week apart so that the tank has time to adjust to the increased bioload. Keep an eye on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels during the first month or so.

For the best chance of shrimpy survival, provide lots of hiding places. Susswassertang and java moss are great for shrimp to hide in. :)

#6 ·
Yep. I would advise going for one of the smaller species of cory, though - pygmies or pandas - so you can have a full school of 6. If you go for one of the larger species like bronze or peppered I'd leave it at 4, which is obviously less than ideal. Cories are pretty active, too, so larger cories will be happier in a 15 or 20 gallon.

#8 ·
Albino are just a strain of bronze (corydoras aenaus); there is also a green colour morph. That's the best way to get variety, if you like it, by mixing a group of aenaus of different colours, because they will still be happy because they are all the same species. :)

Since they are a larger cory, 4-5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.