Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1141 
LittleBettaFish

Yesterday I moved my Betta brownorum males and the juveniles (they are in a plastic container) into their new 10 gallon home. Unfortunately, it seems that I am missing a male. I had him in a breeder box and I think he must have escaped from it. I'm hoping I have just scooped him up with some sphagnum moss and he is in the tank, and not on my floor somewhere.

Meanwhile, I found my other male with a very nasty wound on his face. He has some fin damage, so I suspect a fight between him and the smallest male. At the moment his face is swollen and it looks like the skin is slewing off. However, he is still moving around, has good colour, and doesn't seem distressed, so I will give him a chance and see if he recovers. IME, wilds seem capable of recovering from some very horrific bodily injuries. It's unfortunate that this group is just so aggressive. I'm hoping my two juveniles are female because they are in a small container at the moment and I don't want them killing each other.

I also caught my rutilans female and have her in a plastic container floating in the main tank. Her body condition is quite poor, so I think she was just being out-competed and bullied by her offspring/breeding partner. Hopefully separation and regular feeding will get her looking good again as she is one of my favourites.

Annoyingly, I'm still waiting on news regarding the plants I ordered. Based on the site info they should have been here at the end of last week. They had better come tomorrow or Wednesday, as I really need to get my new tanks ready, and I also am desperate for more cover in my other tanks.

In other news, my Betta uberis female is almost back to 100% health, and my Betta hendra group continues to do well with their velvet treatment.

To add some colour to this post, here are some photos I took this morning.

First up, is my new Betta brownorum tank (left) and my Betta rutilans tank with my female in the plastic container on the right. If it turns out I only have two Betta brownorum males left, I will divide the tank into three, and eventually release the two juveniles into one of the sections. At the moment I can't raise the water level because of the juveniles, but once they are in the main tank, I will be bringing it up level with the waterline in the Betta rutilans tank.

Then this is just a random shot of my Betta miniopinna male.

My Betta coccina tank in all its algaefied glory.

The female

My male practising his vertical flaring skills

A male juvenile

I don't think it's coloured up despite its size because once you colour up, you start to attract the attention of the dominant pair.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:41 AM   #1142 
LittleBettaFish

Somehow one of my Betta brownorum males got into the breeder box with my injured male. My injured male looks extremely stressed. I have no idea how long his brother was in with him, or whether they fought again, but I'm annoyed at myself for not putting a lid on the breeder box. I suppose I didn't expect my other male to jump in with him. That smallest male has turned out to be as aggressive as his mother. Why can't my Disappointments just get along?!

Also, while my juveniles were eating I decided to take out their container and check their progress. I had a very close look with my torch, and it looks like the fry that I thought was only missing its caudal, is also completely missing both its dorsal and anal fin. These three young fish were born into a tank that still contained traces of Seachem Cupramine. There were a few spawns that took place, and the majority of the eggs turned to mush and did not hatch. I am seriously wondering if the copper in the water is responsible for the deformities in two of the three. I did some quick Google searching and it seems that copper and other heavy metals can effect skeletal development. At the moment I think it's kindest just to euthanise the fry with the missing fins. I'm sad because it is eating and cruising around and doing everything an otherwise healthy fry would.

In happier news, I took some photos of my Betta persephone while they were putting on a nice display this evening.

The male on the left is my F2 male. Unlike most of my F1 males, he has a really nice topline, but his colouring is much paler and he lacks the blue iridescence on the sides. He spends most of his time skulking on the bottom of the tank, and was disturbed by the appearance of one of his uncles.

I didn't notice until I uploaded this photo that what looks like my F2 male is spying through the IALs.

F2 male again
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #1143 
LittleBettaFish

My Betta uberis female was feeling well enough to spawn with the male. Her eye isn't fully healed, but she's stopped hiding and gone back to her usual friendly self.

My Betta coccina pair also spawned, as did my egg-eating Betta miniopinna. I was going to pull the eggs from my miniopinna tank, but I think I will do that next spawn as there are only about four eggs left.

My Betta hendra group has four days left of Cupramine treatment. At the moment they are looking and seem to be feeling, great. I might leave them in the treatment for a few days longer, then do a small water change, and slowly start to set their tank up normally. I noticed the one difference between my fish that I treated successfully for velvet (uberis, rutilans, and brownorum) was that I didn't get rid of the remaining Cupramine in the water. Last time, I did a 100% water change with my Betta hendra group once the treatment was finished. This time, I'm just going to leave them in their hospital tank, and do partial water changes over the next few weeks.

My rutilans female already looks so much better now she is out of the main tank. She's been getting fed white worms and blackworms to put on some condition, and help her fins heal. The male and her offspring have been loitering outside the container. She wanted out this morning to be with the male but she won't go back with him until I can get them their own tank, and get some definite genders on their offspring.

My Betta brownorum male was alive but hiding yesterday. He is still hiding today so I am going to remove all the sphagnum moss as I cannot keep eyes on how he is recovering with it in there. Hopefully I don't find him dead, as the wound did seem to be healing cleanly.

I'm shooting an email off to the company I purchased my plants from. It's been close to two weeks now and no plants. I also think I may need to purchase a new heater. I want to divide my 36cm tank and put my Betta livida pair into it. I was going to split a bigger tank and house my third male alongside them. However, I am sort of afraid to have all my breeding stock in one tank in case something happens. I also seem to only have one Betta livida juvenile. I know there were more fry present in the tank. I really hope they are hiding, as my juvenile looks suspiciously male and I really need another female. Only a very small number of this species in this country and at the moment it seems like I may have the bulk of them.

Otherwise, my Betta sp. apiapi fry/juveniles in my three tanks are growing well, as are the Betta miniopinna fry. Fingers crossed for some balanced sex ratios, but that's unlikely. I wish these fish were more like my Aphyosemion Australe, who gave me basically a 50:50 gender split.

I can't shake the feeling something disastrous is going to happen. Nothing ever goes this well for me, for this long. I actually enjoy being in my fish room again, rather than dread looking at tanks full of sick fish.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #1144 
LittleBettaFish

I'm just wondering because I am bored, and because even though I get a lot of views, I hardly get any comments compared to blogs relating to Betta splendens, is there anything anyone wants to know about my wilds, or just keeping wilds in general?

Otherwise, I have some good news in that my egg eating Betta miniopinna male actually has eight fry still hanging from his nest inside the film canister. They should be free-swimming in a day or two provided they aren't eaten. I've got my fingers crossed. It would really be great if the egg/fry eating stopped and I could get a couple of spawns out of this pair.

I also spotted another Betta livida juvenile eating BBS last night, so I think there must be more in there. The tank is very densely planted and is a 10 gallon turned so that the smaller end is facing outwards, which is why it's next to impossible to see how many young fish are in there.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #1145 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I read everything you post, and love and really appreciate your journal... I often just don't have anything to say! It definitely doesn't go unnoticed...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #1146 
LittleBettaFish

Haha yeah I guess by the number of views (they can't be all me!) people read, but sometimes I feel like that crazy person talking to themselves in the corner.

I have been talking to my hobbyist friend, and apparently I am getting a pair of persephone, a pair of brownorum, and a pair of tussyae. It was thought the tussyae were dead, but then they got found alive so now they are getting sent to me too. If all three pairs arrive alive, I will be at my absolute limit. Both racks will be full, and my sideboard already has two tanks on it.

I also emailed the business I ordered my plants from, and he is sending them tomorrow, so they should arrive Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm going to fill up my tanks, and I think I may see if I can't pick up some driftwood as well. I am most excited about the persephone, as my group is getting on in age. Eventually I would like to add another pair, but it's a matter of whether there would be any available, and whether I have the space and funds.
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #1147 
Aquatail

I always read your posts and I love your pictures and hearing about your fish. ^_^ I just don't want to clog your journal by saying it every time.
Aquatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #1148 
LittleBettaFish

It's okay, I will accept any and all flattery haha.

Bad news. The brownorum pair I was getting have died. I think whenever the next shipment is, I will just import a pair of brownorum in.